Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

spconnolly007

This is in addition to a thread i started on my wifes grandfather on researching soldiers. I was gratefully informed of certain aspects of his military career before being discharged(GSW Head 1917)and it was mentioned that he would of been entitled to the Silver War Badge. My mother-in-law is pretty certain that she does not remember there being any medals around the house as a child, and even so they would not be claimable now. My question is, would he of recieved the war badge or would he of needed to claim it, and if he hadn't, is it still claimable, unlike the other WW1 medals? Regards Sean

This is in addition to a thread i started on my wifes grandfather on researching soldiers. I was gratefully informed of certain aspects of his military career before being discharged(GSW Head 1917)and it was mentioned that he would of been entitled to the Silver War Badge. My mother-in-law is pretty certain that she does not remember there being any medals around the house as a child, and even so they would not be claimable now. My question is, would he of recieved the war badge or would he of needed to claim it, and if he hadn't, is it still claimable, unlike the other WW1 medals? Regards Sean

Strictly speaking the SWB wasn't a medal but a badge to be worn on civilian clothes. There is a long, sometimes heated thread, on the subject. In essence it would seem that for many soldiers the SWB form was part and parcel of the discharge process. Some had to claim later - mainly because:

• They were discharged before it was introduced so a retrospective claim was needed.
  • The conditions of eligibility were widened after they were discharged so a retrospective claim was needed
  • They were discharged whilst in hospital and the proper form wasn't completed at the time.

Its original purpose appears to have been for men walking about in civvies to be able to show that they'd done 'their bit' and been discharged sick, injured or wounded. However they were still being claimed as late as the early 1920s when this would seem unnecessary. I think the claim had to be made by the person who would wear the badge.

http://www.1914-1918.net/heavy-battery-index.htm

Hi sean i just saw the name on the swb section of ancestry when i replied to your other post with the link i have no membership but you may have and be able to make use of the link,above is link to swb page on the long long trail.The badge had to be applied for.You should be able to see from his mic how medals were disposed of there are coded entries and the medals were signed for on receipt you will see in some service records the card receipt from when medal delivered.john

Thanks Centurion and Munster, sadly I have not got an ancestry membership, although I have a private account for my family tree. Does anyone on the forum provide a service for this which accepts paypal as payment and also if I were to get my mum-in-law to apply for his military history, would it provide any more than whats available on ancestry? Regards Sean

Thanks Centurion and Munster, sadly I have not got an ancestry membership, although I have a private account for my family tree. Does anyone on the forum provide a service for this which accepts paypal as payment and also if I were to get my mum-in-law to apply for his military history, would it provide any more than whats available on ancestry? Regards Sean

Unfortunately due to a Luftwaffe document clearance scheme in 1940 many WW1 British service men have no surviving service records.

Unfortunately due to a Luftwaffe document clearance scheme in 1940 many WW1 British service men have no surviving service records.

http://www.1914-1918.net/records.html

I like the description very much :thumbsup: was just about to say the same thing in a more boring manner.Sean i just looked back to your other thread there seems to be a lot of stuff relating to your man and a months ancestry sub £13ish would surely be as cheap as any researcher.As centurion has pointed out due to the fire and the putty outy water we are lucky to have as much as we have,john

Thanks again guys, I am well aware of the Luftwaffe document clearance scheme, thanks to which I could find nothing but an MIC for one of my relatives, Pte William Connolly(shiny seventh)KIA 1917. I am aware of the digitization of what files do remain, but is it the case that Ancestry have as much detail on an individual soldier from the period as do the MOD? Regards Sean p.s. looks like I will be opening an account!!

Many thanks CGM, I had no idea that this was an option, will pop into my local tomorrow, regards Sean