Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest fredthefisherman

Guest fredthefisherman

I've recently been given this photo of my great grandfather. We know he served with the Royal Garrison Artillery as a Gunner but we're confused by this photo as we don't recognise the uniform. Any help would be appreciated.

post-85344-0-17653600-1321802976.jpg

I've recently been given this photo of my great grandfather. We know he served with the Royal Garrison Artillery as a Gunner but we're confused by this photo as we don't recognise the uniform. Any help would be appreciated.

He is wearing the post 1904 version of walking out dress for a Royal Garrison Artillery Soldier. This comprised of a 9-button dark blue full dress tunic with red collar and yellow worsted braid trim, blue trousers (tight overalls for RHA) with a wide red stripe down the outer seam, a 1904-05 pattern peaked forage cap and the waist belt from 1888 'Slade Wallace' pattern Valise Equipment. When walking out a swagger stick was carried (or a riding whip for RHA/RFA). Your man is wearing the earlier pattern of tunic that had a doubled cord shoulder strap in the same yellow worsted as the cuff embellishment.

post-599-0-29923500-1321811795.jpg

post-599-0-44881100-1321812195.jpg

At around the same time as the peaked cap was introduced the Slade Wallace belt was replaced by a coloured 'girdle' for all except the Royal Garrison Artillery, who continued to wear the belt.

post-599-0-03580700-1321812132.jpg

post-599-0-02500100-1321812269.jpg

Frogsmile,

Many thanks for those coloured pics of the 1904 walking out dress for RGA soldiers. I have a photo of my g/father (with his two

brothers Royal Irish Regt and ASC) and the black and white pic does not do justice to the colour scheme. G/father was at that time, about

1906-08, a Sgt/major in the RGA.

Frogsmile,

Many thanks for those coloured pics of the 1904 walking out dress for RGA soldiers. I have a photo of my g/father (with his two

brothers Royal Irish Regt and ASC) and the black and white pic does not do justice to the colour scheme. G/father was at that time, about

1906-08, a Sgt/major in the RGA.

I am always glad to be of help. Please PM me if you want anything further.