Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rheims monument for the allied nurses

bkristof

here is the link and a picture of the nusrses monument at Rheims, France.

Forgotten, but worth visiting it...

It is located on the Place Aristide Brian at Rheims. It is standing in the center of a round about.

This is a link to pics and French comment:

http://crdp.ac-reims.fr/memoire/lieux/1ere...infirmieres.htm

I promise to work on a translation.

post-19-1090688959.jpg

bkristof.... awesome, my friend's grandmother was an American volunteer behind French lines near Rheims. I didn't know this memorial exsisted, and she will be happy to see the image. Andy

It is a bit forgotten. But it is up to us to make it actual agian. ;)

Thanks for that posting, B - I appreciate the time you took (it was I who requested the picture and gave him the work!) This is a substantial and effective monument - moving.

Marina

Kristof, thank you for posting this.

Very impressive! Awesome monument.

cheers Shelley :D

this is a close up of the most impresive part.

to me much better than the modern monument they want to build...

post-19-1090720252.jpg

Yes, I think so too, Kristof. There can be no debate about its message, which I think enteirely appropriate in a monument of this kind.

Marina

Maybe it is tiem for us to start an "pelgrimage" to it. To restore the value of the monument. To place it in attention again.

Can we do something with the forum? With forum members?

g'day mate kris

were'nt we already doing that at the montbre event? ;) Still have to get the locals to work with us because the traffic their is heavy, wouldn't want any new casualties. :unsure:

coo-ee

patrick

:) Just a thought, but New Zealand is not mentioned on that monument which is sad as a number of New Zealand nurses lost their lives when the Marquette went down and did service helping the troops. Did they think that NZ was part of Australia?

The Marquette had been converted to a transport ship at the beginning of the First World War and on 19 October 1915 she sailed from Alexandria for Salonika with the No. 1 New Zealand Stationary Hospital and the British 29th Divisional Ammunition Column on board. She was torpedoed on the morning of the 23rd and sank in ten minutes. Of the thirty-six nurses on board, ten died. The news reached New Zealand in November and a collection, taken at a memorial service, was dedicated to the erection of a memorial chapel at Christchurch Hospital.

The Nurses’ Chapel is significant as the only war memorial in New Zealand dedicated solely to the memory of women.

The three nurses from Christchurch who went down with the Marquette were Nona Hildyard, Margaret Rogers and Lorna Rattray.

A link to the full article and photo's of the Chapel can be found at

The New Zealand Historic Places Trust

Also on another thread on Cemeteries and memorials :)

that is indeed a big mistake!