Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and capbadge identification

1st east yorks

Hello,

thought i would post this here as im having no luck with tracing my GGFathers records in the soldiers section.I was shown this photo of my GGFather recently and would like to know the regiment he belonged to if possible.

post-28024-0-58121200-1321557298.png

Thanks,

Anthony.

And here is a close up of the capbadge.

post-28024-0-60121800-1321557516.png

Thanks,

Anthony.

And here is a close up of the capbadge.

post-28024-0-60121800-1321557516.png

Thanks,

Anthony.

The close up of the badge is too poor to ID it, but the general appearance of the soldier is of a man on mounted duties, quite possibly in the Army Service Corps (ASC).

Thanks Frogsmile,

i thought mounted myself due to the bandolier.The image of the capbadge is poor but the shape resembles nothing ive seen before.I will look at the ASC badge.

thanks again,

Anthony.

Thanks Frogsmile,

i thought mounted myself due to the bandolier.The image of the capbadge is poor but the shape resembles nothing ive seen before.I will look at the ASC badge.

thanks again,

Anthony.

It could be a (slightly awry) shoulder title (large letters - ASC), as these were sometimes used if a soldier had lost or 'traded' his cap badge for some luxury.

Frogsmile,

i agree it looks like a shoulder title,bent to fit the shape of his cap,maybe?

The only capbadge that appears like a shoulder title is NCC (non combatant corps),but then he wouldnt wear a bandolier if he was a non combatant.

thanks again,

Anthony.

Im not sure if this is significant but there is a white lanyard under his left arm and epaulette.

post-28024-0-32814800-1321571881.png

Anthony.

Im not sure if this is significant but there is a white lanyard under his left arm and epaulette.

post-28024-0-32814800-1321571881.png

Anthony.

All the issue lanyards were in a natural white colour and some units such as artillery and (some) cavalry whitened them further when out of the line.

post-599-0-69458300-1321578971.jpg

post-599-0-80379100-1321578984.jpg

Interesting...I've seen pictures where soldiers are wearing small flags of the Allies (e.g. France and Britain) brooches in their caps. There is something about this 'cap badge' that suggests two flags....

Best wishes

Peter

Peter,

thanks for your reply.

I have 2 threads running on the subject of my GGFather,one in this section the other in soldiers.In the other thread concerning the capbadge i quoted in reply #10:-

'Blowing the photo up and looking at the capbadge it appears like an upside down chevron or 2 flags back to back?????'

so your reply is very interesting and may well clear this capbadge mystery up;have you an example that shows this brooch?

Thanks again,

Anthony.

Thanks Anthony - I'll see what I can do for you. I certainly have a couple of badges of this type, but will have to search for the images with lads wearing them.

Cheers

Peter