Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Glengarry correct or not

gixsermalc

Hi i have just bought what was stated as a 1915 dated glengarry. i have just recieved it it does not have a leather rim but a cordroy type edging also the the tag with the makers name on seems to be a stick on item and i cant actualy read the date was sold as 1915 dated. Does this sound genuine or have i just bought a later item.

Many thanks

Malc

Hi getting very muddled here been doing a bit of research and it appears that there was such a thing as a simplified example with a non-leather edging. im wondering if this is what i have instead of my worst fear that i have indeed bought a ww2 item. im am surprised to see a glue on lable though this is actualy my first uniform purchase ever i have no idea if this is right or not.

Hi getting very muddled here been doing a bit of research and it appears that there was such a thing as a simplified example with a non-leather edging. im wondering if this is what i have instead of my worst fear that i have indeed bought a ww2 item. im am surprised to see a glue on lable though this is actualy my first uniform purchase ever i have no idea if this is right or not.

The corduroy effect you mention was called grossgrain, which at the time of WW1 was made with silk and used for officers caps. The simplified OR's pattern used black canvas. Later on, after WW1, a synthetic grossgrain was created and used for OR's caps.

The corduroy effect you mention was called grossgrain, which at the time of WW1 was made with silk and used for officers caps. The simplified OR's pattern used black canvas. Later on, after WW1, a synthetic grossgrain was created and used for OR's caps.

Many thanks for the reply im finding it hard to judge what the edging material is it has the same rib pattern as the tails but feels a bit stiffer material though this could just be a where it is stitched.

This is the item i bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180748780114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Many thanks for the help

Malc

Many thanks for the reply im finding it hard to judge what the edging material is it has the same rib pattern as the tails but feels a bit stiffer material though this could just be a where it is stitched.

This is the item i bought.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Many thanks for the help

Malc

It is a grossgrain band, but I cannot tell if it is silk or a later synthetic.

Hello,

On seeing that the Glengarry is a Cameron example, I believe that I am right in saying that the Camerons did not have a leather edge to theirs. I am uncertain as to te exact material.

Owain.

Owain,

That Glen is good and was part of a large find of Glens in the 80's.

It is an OR's Glen introduced in circa Oct 1914 (blue with scarlet tuft; pattern with 8161/1914).

These were introduced to simplify Glen production and Leather binding was dropped.

Prior to that All ORs Glens had Leather bindings (in black or Brown Calf skin) Between circa 1904/8 and 1914. Prior to 04/8 all had cloth/gross grain binding.

Joe Sweeney

Owain,

That Glen is good and was part of a large find of Glens in the 80's.

It is an OR's Glen introduced in circa Oct 1914 (blue with scarlet tuft; pattern with 8161/1914).

These were introduced to simplify Glen production and Leather binding was dropped.

Prior to that All ORs Glens had Leather bindings (in black or Brown Calf skin) Between circa 1904/8 and 1914. Prior to 04/8 all had cloth/gross grain binding.

Joe Sweeney

Joe, I have great respect for your knowledge and the single minded way that you have built up a collection of primary sources of information such as PVCNs and LoCs. I am interested in what you say and would love to know more about the earlier patterns of cap that you say had gross grain binding. Gross grain cloth was expensive at that time with none of the benefits of modern production methods. You quote "cloth / gross grain"....what do you mean by that exactly and what does it say in your sources regarding that specific type of cloth?

Hi thanks for the help guys. so it is looking like a good un but i fear wrong for my purpose i believe i still need a leather edged example as used by the Tyneside Scottish or did they also use this simplified pattern.

I have managed hopfully to take some clearer pics to show the material.

Many thanks

Malc

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2309.jpgIMG_2307.jpg

Malc,

Every unit would have potentially used the simplified Glens to include the TS.

Frogsmile,

I'll look up the exact wording on the pre WWI Glens--My notes are note detailed on those versions and my copied records are elsewhere (I'm in the process of moving and will be pickingt those records up next Thursday).

Joe Sweeney

Malc,

Every unit would have potentially used the simplified Glens to include the TS.

Frogsmile,

I'll look up the exact wording on the pre WWI Glens--My notes are note detailed on those versions and my copied records are elsewhere (I'm in the process of moving and will be pickingt those records up next Thursday).

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe, I will be very interested to know as it is something I have been trying to get to the bottom of for sometime.

I enclose a photo of a leather banded version.

post-599-0-17858000-1321726402.jpg

And here is another with gross grain band. It is interesting to see how popular it was to fray the edges of the rosette once it had been issued to the soldier.

post-599-0-83490500-1321726618.jpg

MMM this is getting interesting. Just had anouther look at the photo im trying to replicate and it may appear to be a simplyfied glen hes wearing. Am i right in thinking that the leather edging is not as tall up the side of the glen as the grosgrain.

Many thanks for all the help and advice feeling much happeir about the purchase now, though i dont know if im confident enough to buy the tunic and trousers on ebay at the mo even though i really want them and they carry the familly name.

thank you

Malc

SCAN0002.jpg