Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace Edward Bayliss 568042

rmtruby

Can anyone help me find out more information on Horace Edward Bayliss (568042) of the Royal warwickshire Regiment?

He was born on 9th December 1898, although when he joined up, he gave his date of birth as 1896.

I believe he enlisted on 20th August 1915 at Wolverhampton.

I have attached a photograph of him.

Thanks

Ray

post-1-1090662671.jpg

Thanks very much.

Ray

Tom!

I have looked and looked at the NA site, to find any sign of my uncle, Arthur Frederick HEINRICH, Middlesex Regiment. But this time I used your link - and there is his medal index card! I've downloaded it to send to Arthur's son, my oldest cousin. A million thanks for being there at the right time!

VivP

over the moon :D

Tom

PS My avatar is Arthur's oldest brother, Otto Albert HEINRICH, also enlisted in the Middlesex Regiment, but discharged because of dementia praecox, so no medals there.

Thanks again!

VivP :D

VivP

I wondered if Otto Albert might be entitled to an SWB but can't see anything, however in searching the various combinations of spelling noted that there are 15 men named Otto in the Middlesex Regiment.... that seems a very high number for what is after all not a common name.

Mike

The number you gave, 568042, seems to be a post-war service number. Having checked the medal card did he another number?

The Birmingham Daily Post on 19 August 1916 has listed as wounded a Pte H E Bayliss, No.5054, Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Regards

Terry

Mike

If you go to the soldiers' thread http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...albert+heinrich

you'll see why Otto wasn't entitled to a medal. He had no sooner enlisted in 1916 than he was diagnosed as having dementia praecox (schizophrenia) and medically discharged, which was a bit of a shock for us.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to do a search! To my surprise, when I downloaded Otto's brother Arthur's medal card, there were four other Heinrichs on there, two in the Warwickshire Regiment. I've listed them - somewhere on here.

Viv

I've had no luck so far trying to find Edward Horace Bayliss's documents online at the PRO.

I'll try to find his discharge papers to see whether they'll help.

Thanks

Ray

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Tom

PS My avatar is Arthur's oldest brother, Otto Albert HEINRICH, also enlisted in the Middlesex Regiment, but discharged because of dementia praecox, so no medals there.

Thanks again!

VivP :D

What about a silver war badge?

Ian

Ian

What was an SWB? I don't understand anything about the medals, or badges. But since Otto only served 'with the Colours' from 7th Mar to 1st July 1916 [source: letter from MOD in 1998 quoting Otto's records], I really don't see why he would have been entitled to a Silver War Badge - though I don't know what did entitle people to geting one. Could you explain?

I have downloaded my uncle Arthur's medal card, and would appreciate some interpretation of the numbers on it. Would you be willling to do that? His regimental number is top right, G/31211, and by Victory it has E/1/102B?20, page 3375. Arthur survived the War, and his son believes he was a frontline stretcher bearer in Flanders. Arthur served from May 1916 to Feb 1919, first in the 5th Bttn Gloucestershire Regiment, and then in the 30th Bttn Middlesex Regiment. His son has his papers, and this is what they say.

Arthur had volunteered in 1914, but a former teacher asked 'Which side?' He was asked to resign from the Bristol University OTC as well. He didn't speak about his military service.

Anyway, if you could explain the number by the word Victory, it would be helpful. Perhaps it's just for office purposes?

Viv

The service rendered badge (swb) was given to men who were discharged through sickness or wounds, it is said to stop men who had been discharged from getting white feathers!

enoch

Thankyou, 'enoch'

I've just found the explanation on

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...asp#medalsindex

The SWB wasn't authorised untl Sept. 1916 - by which time Otto had been medically discharged.

Viv :)

Here are Edward Horace Bayliss's discharge papers.

Hopefully there are some clues within the papers that will lead to finding out more about him.

Thanks

Ray

post-1-1091277468.jpg

Ray

Many apologies for hi-jacking your thread so rudely. This is the best I can do:

Hard to read! Can't do the first section, apart from Private BAYLISS 27 Coy Labour Corps - numbers very indistinct.

Regiment or Corps to which first passed: Royal Wawickshire Reg

Also previously served in Nil

Special qualifications Nil

Medals - British War Medal and Victory Medal. Wound Stripes* One (looks like initials) To be assessed in ...

Enlisted at Wolverhampton on 20th August 1915

He is discharged in ... Being surplus to Military requirements (Having suffered impairments since entry into the Service.) Para. 392 XV1?m? K.M.

after serving Three years 185 days with the Colours, and Nil years 312 days in the Army Reserve

Date of Discharge 28th December 1919

can't read signature and rank

something something Labour Corps Records

Nottingham Place

Last section:

Description of the above-named soldier when he left the Colours

Year of birth 1896 Marks or Scars (left blank)

Height (left blank)

Complexion Nil

Eyes Blue Hair (left blank!)

Hope this adds something helpful.

Viv

VivP Posted on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:44:35 +00:

Thankyou, 'enoch'

I've just found the explanation on

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...asp#medalsindex

The SWB wasn't authorised untl Sept. 1916 - by which time Otto had been medically discharged.

Viv

Hi Viv

That wouldn't have mattered; he would still have been eligible to apply for one.

Rgds

Ed

Thankyou, Ed - but it looks as if Otto was in no fit state to apply for one.

I didn't know the SWB could be awarded retrospectively. But then, there's so very much I don't know!

Have you cast your eyes on Edward Horace Bayliss's discharge papers?

cheers,

Viv :)

Hi

There is still chance that it could be th H E Bayliss that I mentioned earlier in my reply. Wounded with the Royal Warwicks and on recovery not fit for front line service and posted to a Labour battalion.

Terry

Ray

Para. 392 XV1 (in EH/HE BAYLISS's discharge papers) is referred to in the Soldiers thread Soldiers Discharge Question posted by hmsk212, so I expect he knows what it means.

NIGEL

Have searched through the Long, Long Trail, and there are three references to the colours. Using these, and guesswork, and a dash of common sense, 'serving with the Colours' seems to mean being a fully enlisted member of a ?batttalion, and herefore entitled to march behind the colours [flags]. However, if you really want to know for certain, start a new thread somewhere appropriate, or ask one of the experts here - there are lots who must have 'served with the Colours'.

cheers,

Viv

PS I'm not really whatever it says now under Otto's photo!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm doing this research on behalf of a work colleague of my brother's. My brother handed me the attched certificate recently. Is this an official certificate that was given by the regiment?

Thanks

Ray

post-1-1099845220.jpg

Ray,

I think you'd better draw someone else's atention to this certificate, because I haven't the faintest idea what it is! Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Viv