Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Headgear

P.B.

I thought I'd post this picture of a couple of items in my collection. Headgear was a popular souvenier among Allied troops, and although neither of these pieces are rare as such -although finding them in this kind of condition isn't easy these days- they do show the kind of item that was common in many British, American and French households in the 1920s and 30s. There's possibly a few of these still knocking around in the attics and cupboards of the unwary, although given the fact that nearly everyone seems to know that militaria is valuable now, this seems increasingly unlikely....

The first photograph shows a standard Prussian Infantry pickelhaube, together with a M1910 service cap or feldmutze. The cap is piped in red for an infantry unit, and bears the Prussian cockade on the lower band. Interestingly the lower red band is itself covered by a drab-grey camouflage strip, commonly seen in front-line photographs. The interior of the cap bears Clothing Depot issue stamps for the 10th Army Corps (mainly recruiting from Hannover and Brunswick) and the date "1915".

post-23-1090660815.jpg

A close-up of the pickelhaube. The brass fitted Prussian Infantry version is probably one of the most common types of pickelhaube, so this example isn't particularly rare. However, the cockades and chinstrap all appear to be original, and the condition is very good. The helmet itself appeared to have been untouched for many years when I got it (since then, it's only had a very light exterior cleaning, and not been disassembled) and a good way to tell if a helmet has been untampered with is to look behind the plate -there should be about 90 years worth of dust which has accumulated in an almost mirror image of the helmet plate!

Inside the helmet bears the a maker's stamp and date "1912", as well as regimental markings for IR 22.

post-23-1090661251.jpg

P.B.

Another way to check if the plate has been on for a long time is there should be a outline in the leather of the plate. I have seen a few hemets that have had more than one plate on them and if they were on the helmet for any time they should leave markings I found this out the hardway early on.

Best regards

N.S. Regt.

Very sound point, N.S. Regt.

One of my friends recieved a pickelhaube from a dealer via mail order. He was suspicious of the plate, and on removing it -and consulting Bowman's "The Pickelhaube"- he was confronted with a classic example of a post-war modified Fireman's helmet which had then been "restored". The tell-tale evidence, as you say, was the near perfect outline of the Weimar period Fire Service crest behind the helmet plate. He did get a refund, by the way.

All the best

Paul.

You can see it also on the back of the pickelhaube

if it whas an firemans hat

can you put some more Pic's from the pickelhaube?

PB,

Your first picture shows how just a few items are needed to make a very striking display. Placed in a glass case with a couple of period postcards and a few relic bullet cases and it is easy to see why so many of us are bitten by the collecting bug. :)

Guest AmericanDoughboy

P.B.,

Thank you for showing your little collection. I suggest that what you contain now, you could purchase some uniforms and create your own museum. That would be a fantastic achievement. But it is your choice...

-Doughboy

P.B.,

Thank you for showing your little collection. I suggest that what you contain now, you could purchase some uniforms and create your own museum. That would be a fantastic achievement. But it is your choice...

-Doughboy

That would be great

but also al lots of money :(

But i do my best with mine collection :rolleyes:

Guest Chip Minx

Paul,

Thanks for the pictures. Like you, I don't specialize in spiked helmets or headgear, but I have examples of most of the styles and about 13 issue caps. Your things appear to be in very fine shape and as you say, it is getting more difficult with each passing year to find quality items.

I agree with Giles, it is almost impossible to resist a nice piece of headgear.

Chip

Here is a peice of head gear that I could never find anything about sorry about the poor photos they were taked in the 80s and I cut off the top of the helmet.

This helmet I have never seen another it is as I remember as thick as the frontal plate used on the M16-18 Helmets and appears very heavy. It is one of the most unusual german helmets I have seen. the photo was taken in the Canadian War Museum and I can not remember what information was on the helmet other than it was German and ww1. Any ideas or information I have looked in many reference books and websites with out any luck. It is the one above the snipers face plate.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1090713505.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied for their comments.

Yes, a private museum would be nice, it would also take up even more space and force my girlfriend to leave/kill me.... :D

As requested, here a some more poor quality shots of the pickelhaube. First, the interior showing a nice condition liner:

post-23-1090758899.jpg

A side view, showing the Prussian cockade:

post-23-1090758993.jpg

Finally, a shot of the double-buckle chinstrap and some of the helmet plate in detail:

post-23-1090759224.jpg

To bad that those picture's are not that well

but the helmet looks good

an exelent stat

What did it cost if a may be so bold to ask

Have an look at my webstie i have some Pickel's as well

Greatwarcollection

and also nice to meet other collectors

Redrum

Thanks for that is there any reference that shows this helmet I never came across one. I would think they would be rare to say the least I have only ever seen this example myself. Have you seen one yourself?

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Anzac16

Yeah, sorry about the photo quality...I'll replace the shots with some better ones later (the batteries in my digital camera were too low to take anymore!) I bought this helmet about 3 years ago and paid £495 for it. At the time this was quite a sum for a standard Prussian Infantry pickelhaube, but the condition made it worth while. When I see the prices being asked today for helmets with replaced chinstraps or cockades, I realise what a sound purchase it was.

All the best

Paul.

There is a drawing of a sentinels or siege helmet if I remember in the small paper-back "Stahlehelm" by Floyd Tubbs. They were lined and padded & because they were so heavy and cumbersome they were discarded. The stahlhelm has its roots in the medieval Sallet helmet and the British helmet design can be traced back to Agincourt.

Redrum

Thanks for that I will see if I can track a copy down I have been interested in this helmet since I seen it. It is one of the oddest German steel helmets I have ever seen.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.