Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Holiday suggestions, please

Rockdoc

Ruth and I are considering taking our BMW motorcycle to the Asiago Plateau area next June or July, staying in the area for two or three full days. The bike is a K1200LT, a heavy beast, and not suitable for off-tarmac excursions as you can see.

DSCF0644.JPG

I'd like to see some of the places where AA guns were sited. One, near Tresche Conte, should be no problem but the other I know about looks to be close to the top of one of the peaks, Cima di Fonte. I can't find Cima di Fonte on a map, although I've read that it's near Tresche, so I can't get any idea of how near I can take the bike. We do hike and would take our walking gear but we don't climb.

Would two full days on the plateau be enough for me to get a good idea of the battlefields?

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated as we have never visited any part of Italy.

Keith

Hi Keith

I see from this thread that there are some forum pals in (roughly) that area - may be worth contacting them directly?

sJ

Thanks, Jane. I took part in that thread but didn't make direct contact with them as a start because I thought any comments might be useful to other Pals who might go there in the future. I'll leave it a few days and then write some PMs.

Keith

• Admin

Will be interested to hear how you get on Keith as Wayne and I are wanting to take Bertha (R100RT) down to the Asiago in 2013. It will be a combined 50th birthday (mine) and our silver wedding anniversary celebration. We toured on our July trip, and are planning a more ambitious trip next year, holiday allowance permitting!

Michelle

We're in the very early planning stages, Michelle, and haven't tied things down at all yet. Having gone to the 'bike show at the NEC yesterday we're a bit more confused because we met people from biker-friendly hotels in the Maltatal, south of Salzburg, and near Bolzano that all look good value but our choice will affect the time available on the plateau. Everything we've seen about the Dolomites makes us want to tour there. The scenery and the twisties look great, whichever part we go to.

One of my next steps will be to contact the Italian Tourist Office and see what they can send me on the area.

Keith

Grazie, Kibe. I have a map but it is not very detailed as the scale is 2mm=1km. I will buy a better one soon!

We have begun to plan the trip and, at the moment, we intend to spend two days/three nights near Bolzano before travelling to the plateau and we are thinking of staying there for two or three nights (1.5 or 2.5 days exploring time).

Anything you can suggest would be very useful.

Edit Mandy, we have him on the list!

Keith

It certainly isn't at the moment! There are some reasonably-priced hotels coming up for the Asiago area but those we found around Bolzano.... Gulp!

Keith