Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Bogus Medals

DrB

I know this forum is for discussing the British military in WWI, but this may save someone some money. It is probably flogging a dead horse, but I want to post this just in case it will help someone from being stung.

Prior to 1996, U.S. medals awarded for gallantry were distributed only by the US Department of Defence. Campaign and theatre medals could be purchased in the Post Exchanges or on the open market.

Now, all US awards can be purchased on the open market, which means the unwary can buy a Silver Star medal, thinking it was a legitimate award, only to find that it is not. Medals and ribbons can be very easily "aged" as you know.

Just be certain that you are dealing with a reputable tradesman or he/she can furnish you a reliable provenience, weither it be a campaign award or one for heroism.

The Medal of Honor, our version of the VC, is still awarded only by the government and cannot be purchased privately, however, even fakes of this exist as well.

"Caveat emptor"

....DrB

:angry:

Cheers, Dr B, advice is well received.

I realised that US medals could be made by official mints but not actually original issues since about 1970(?) in response to a large number of WW2 veterans wanting replacements; I didn't realise that gallantry awards could not be un-issued examples until as late as 1996.

A shame really, and borne out on places like ebay where otherwise prestigious US medals often go for less than £5, having little other than their decorative value.

What's the consensus in the US - I assume from the 'face' that it has not gone down too well? I have read a lot about veterans claiming and wearing medals to which they were not entitled (particularly Vietnam-era servicemen) so that they can claim various Govt and charitable benefits.

Richard

I have read a lot about veterans claiming and wearing medals to which they were not entitled (particularly Vietnam-era servicemen) so that they can claim various Govt and charitable benefits.

If you can, read the book, Stolen Valor by B. G. Burkett. He not only exposes many fraudulent Vietnam "heroes", but also debunks many myths about the whole American Vietnam-era veterans generation.

The rate of false military "heroes" here in America (individuals wearing combat awards to which they're not entitled and/or claiming verbally, on resumes, government paperwork, etc. to be Medal of Honor (MOH) recipients, etc) has reached an epidemic. For example, the State of Virginia has on one of its forms (I believe the VA state income tax form) in which there is a box to check which indicates that the declarant has been awarded the MOH (the reason for this being on the form is that MOH recipients living in Virginia are exempt from paying taxes on military retirement). Recently, there were over 200 individuals who claimed this status, although there are only 4 living MOH recipients residing in Virginia.

There are other cases of individuals living in retirement homes/communities who claim to be MOH recipients (some senile and many not), and people who simply claim it to friends, neighbors, etc, (they sometimes buy & keep one of the 300 "extra" copies sold illegally by the official government contractor several years ago in a display case in their home to bolster their claim). It's a very sad situation.

Chris

Hi Chris

I have read Stolen Valor and it makes my blood boil.

I find especially interesting the picture of the phony Marine at the Wall in Washington, wearing new BDU's, a boonie hat from a surplus store and wearing patches for units that weren't even over there. Turns out this clown was never in Nam, much less the military.

"Wannabes" make me sick!

DrB

:angry:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Sounds like a sore point to the US Veterans. Luckily nearly all the medals now issued to UK servce men and women are named except for UN medals and commemoratives like the Queen's Golden Jubilee, so spotting the fake UK serviceman is a bit more straight forward.

I suppose what might rattle some of the genuine Vietnam Veterans is that the imposters might actually be people who demonstrated against the war when it was happening - that would really stick in my throat.

Interestingly there was an article about John Kerry and the upcoming biography on him by the Bosoton Globe Reporters Kranish, Mooney and Easton. It stated that John Kerry had won 3 Purple Hearts. a Silver Star and a Bronze Star. <_<

Ian

Dr B your scurrilous remarks about Kerry are a clear violation of forum rules and you need to delete them or have it done for you.

I’m inclined to second Paul on this one

I saw a long CNN programme on Kerry at the weekend, which came across as balanced journalism. The 3 Purple Hearts were for wounds which Kerry has never implied were serious and the Silver Star story was checked out by someone who interviewed all the crew members of the Swift Boat concerned. They were ambushed on a waterway and Kerry’s boat ran down a man about to fire a RPG at them. All checked out.

Regards

Michael D.R.

That's nothing. Idi 'Heads in the Fridge' Amin awarded himself the Victoria Cross and the title 'Conqueror of the British Empire'; of course he also offered to solve Britain's economic crisis of the '70s by sending over fresh fruit and some of his heavies to lay into the union leaders, in return for some highlanders.

He also established the Heavy Mechanised Suicide Jazz Band within the ranks of the Ugandan Army. A stranger to reality, me thinks.

Richard

Guest Jeff Floyd

Let me go back to the original post in this thread and comment on the mistaken impression that contract-made US medals are somehow not "legitimate".

The medals made by Graco and the other authorized manufacturers are exactly what the government gives out. The government has authorized the sale of medals below the Medal of Honor by approved manufacturers. They're cheap, they're ugly, they're available by the bin-load, but they are not fakes.

A little knowledge and a little observation is all that's necessary to distinguish among the various strikes.

Whether US medals should be sold, should be of higher quality, etc, is another matter.

I am not concerned that US medals available on the open market are fake. My concern is for the uninformed collector who buys a U.S. gallantry award, Bronze Star, Silver Star ect. with the mistaken idea that it is "a legitimate award" to the recepient. It matters not weither it is a replacement, only that the award itself is merited by a written citation. Please be careful!

Out of interest, can anyone shed any light on the various company names and serial numbers of the back of US medals? I've heard that 'contract dates' (i.e. the timeframe within which the medal was made) can be assessed from this and batch numbers. Thus, is there a way to date and perhaps learn other details from this information?

Richard

I have looked at the back of my own medals, from the DOD, and cannot find any makers names or numbers. Perhaps these can be found on the higher awards such as the Bronze Star, et. al. The only wording I found on any of them, other than the usual "stuff" is on the Viet Namese campaign award and this has the maker stamped on the back which I cannot decypher.

The VN campaign medal was not a U.S. government award and was given by the VN government and we had to pay for them.

There are places, on some of the officially issued ones from our government, for a name to be stamped or engraved if one so desires, but not at the cost of the government.

Incidentally, Uniform Regs for the Navy specificies that medals will "not be polished" The one exception to this is the four services Honor Guard in Washington, D.C. who are guilty of ignoring this directive. I'm relatively certain that they have their own rules regarding this as the Navy white uniform, as they wear it, is definately not in Uniform Regs!

As to my harangue of a few days ago, I sincerely apologise if I hurt anyones feelings. Personally knowing some fine young men and having some of them die in my arms or having them sent home in a steel box and then hearing that they all , including myself, should be considered as rapists and murderers still upsets me. DrB