Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Number

Noyes16

I'm currently researching my great great uncle, John Robert Noyes, who served with the 15th (Carmarthenshire) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment which formed part of the 38th (Welsh) Division. I've noticed that most soldiers who served with this battalion had regimental numbers starting with '20'. However, his starts with '35'. Sadly, his service record hasn't survived. His medal index card shows tha he wasn't entitled to the 1914-15 Star even though the division arrived in France on 4th December 1915 and moved in to the front line on 12th December. Does anyone know if the '35' prefix means he joined the battalion after it was already in France? He was killed on 11th July 1916 during the attack on Mametz Wood.

if a Welsh regt expert does not step forward I will have a look to see what number was on 4 Aug 1914 and take it from there.

Paul Nixon has not "done" the regiment I see.

Hello Noyes16,

I presume this is Robin?

Going by the army numbers of other 15th Welshmen, 35079 John Robert Noyes would have enlisted during July/ August 1915 into the 20th Welsh, so would have been a reinforcement to the battalion while they were in the Fleurbaix sector. He looks to be among a batch of men from Nantgarw, Treforest, Pontypridd.

Looking at the Welsh Regiment casualties on the whole, and each man nearest to John Noyes number, 35075 Walter Gingell was from Trealaw, and was killed with the 13th Welsh, while 35082 Arthur Dinham was from Cardiff and killed with the 14th Welsh, which confirms that they were all 20th Welsh beforehand, which was the Battalion which fed reinforcements to the 38th Welsh Division at that early stage of the war.

I hope this helps a bit,

SteveJ.