Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What unit would be engraved on these medals?

itanica

I want to purchase a set of replacements for my great-grandfather's long lost medals. His medal card lists his medal roll entries as:

VICTORY "RAOC/1011331" (page number)

BRITISH - do - - do -

I know from his war record that he didn't join the RAOC until mid 1919, he served in the ®AVC for the war period. Would he have RAOC on his medals as this is what the card roll states, or the unit he was in?

And is this then the correct inscription?

"Pte. Other. A. N. 012345. RAOC."

Hi

6344607763_0ed0bf9ea6.jpg

052738 PTE G.F.BLOOMFIELD.RAOC.

I am sure a Medal Expert will be along to correct the above if I am wrong

regards Ray

regarding the Medal stamping from the RAOC Roll 052738 PTE G.F.BLOOMFIELD.RAOC.

This is what HarryBetts MCDCM had to say on an earlier post that I made regarding Medal stamping

The medals are ISSUED from the ROLL of the unit LAST served with Overseas,BUT the medals are impressed with the Unit FIRST served overseas with* [disbarring

clerical errors} hence the X with dots[what do they call that thing?]by the Unit on the Medal Index Card signifying the unit to be so impressed!!

[Hence medals to Cyclist Bns; etc; that didnt serve in the Line,but went OS as a unit before being transferred]

* If the LAST Unit served in was impressed on Medals per se; then many thousands would indeed be impressed "LABOUR CORPS" which you do not see!!!

the Thread with the Medal stamping Query can be found Here

regards Ray

Edit following the above rule should not the medals be stamped RAVC SE/23046

clarification required from a medal expert

Fantastic, thanks very much. I'm searching elsewhere, but while typing, should it be AVC or RAVC? I think the Royal designation was added in 1918, looking at the cap badge change, so in time for the medal stamping?

They should in effect have "AVC" on them,as the RAVC didn't exist until post WW1, the Man's initials appear before the Surname as per:~ "###### Pte A.N.OTHER AVC." :thumbsup:

HB.. :poppy:

The MiC does look to be a late one, to include RAVC

Small and possibly insignificant changes I know, but just to help the original poster get it absolutely as it would have been - wouldn't the letters AVC be separated by fullstops? And would there have also been fullstops after "Pte" and after the surname?

Tom