Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Headstone

grantowi

Hi Chaps,

Sometime back I put forward two men for non-comm with the CWGC, both were accepted and both names have been placed on the Debt of Honour.

Recently one of the Men has had a CWGC headstone laid on his plot, but the "Friends of the Cemetery" are telling me that because the other Man is in a plot that wasn't brought by the family - It looks like he's in a paupers grave with a couple of unrelated people - then it's unlikly that he will get a Headstone.

Is this a comman thing?

Both of the plots were unmarked by any headstone or features

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

Terry Denham would be the expert on the question, but I thought it was up to the CWGC as to them getting headstones or not, especially if the grave is unmarked.

Cheers Andy.

In UK cemeteries the 'rules' about headstones were down to the local authorites which the CWGC had o adhere to.

Quote from CWGC: "In some cemeteries, local regulations prevented the marking of individual graves by headstones...."

With reference to the pauper's grave. In Belfast there are two cemeteries with screen walls which commemorate casualties with no headstone. Both these are set in what's called 'The Poor Ground'. So, the "Friends of the Cemetery" could be right on the headstone issue.

If it's not possible to put a stone on the grave itself, he'll get a "special memorial", eg added to a screen wall as described (if one exists), or a stone at a location agreed with the cemetery (this would have wording like, "buried in this cemetery")

Many thanks for the answers, Chaps.

The cemetry hasn't got a screen wall or anything similar.

It's not physically impossible to place a Headstone on the plot, the plot is recorded and there are no other Stones or features to impead access, from what I can gather it's to do with the ownership of the plot and the other occupants of the plot

Chers

Grant