Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jesse Hawkes

Perth Digger

Private Jesse Hawkes (G/11467) of 11th Royal West Kents attested in Camberwell on 27 November 1915 (his service record exists). On 18 March 1918 he was transferred to the 10th RWK, with many other 11th men as their battalion was disbanded. On 31 March 1918 he was transferred to the 41st Division HQ and after the war ended he waived his claim to early demobilisation and was attached from 22 July 1919 to 25 February 1920 to a Labour Coy as part of the Rhine garrison. He was demobbed on 1 May 1920. On 24 November 1920 he died of a heart attack in Lambeth. He was already a widower, his wife dying between 1908 and 1911, and he left three children under the guardianship of his mother.

I have been unable to find any reference to him on the CWGC site. Should he have been acknowledged as a war casualty? He appears neither to have been wounded nor sick while in the army.

Thanks

Mike

Private Jesse Hawkes (G/11467) of 11th Royal West Kents attested in Camberwell on 27 November 1915 (his service record exists). On 18 March 1918 he was transferred to the 10th RWK, with many other 11th men as their battalion was disbanded. On 31 March 1918 he was transferred to the 41st Division HQ and after the war ended he waived his claim to early demobilisation and was attached from 22 July 1919 to 25 February 1920 to a Labour Coy as part of the Rhine garrison. He was demobbed on 1 May 1920. On 24 November 1920 he died of a heart attack in Lambeth. He was already a widower, his wife dying between 1908 and 1911, and he left three children under the guardianship of his mother.

I have been unable to find any reference to him on the CWGC site. Should he have been acknowledged as a war casualty? He appears neither to have been wounded nor sick while in the army.

Thanks

Mike

Given that he had left the army months before he died and there is no link shown between his war service and his heart attack I would have thought the answer to your question is no.

There is a document on file that shows VDH; I will ask some questions on your behalf

Cheers

Chris

This case is going ahead with Michael as the submitting volunteer. It just goes to show that you should never take no for an answer without a second opinion