Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th battalion Welsh Regiment

Tim Wright

Unfortunately the war diary for the 9th battalion Welsh Regiment is not available for download from the NA, it also does not appear on the list available from members.

Is there anyone that can help me with information on the battalion for the 18-20 July 1917, especially the 19th.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the War Diary Tim, but here is an extract from the History of the 19th Division, which shows that 58 Brigade made an attack on Junction Buildings on 19 July-

The 10th Warwick’s slightly advanced their line on the night of the 5th and the 8th Gloucester’s and 8th North Stafford’s also pushed forward their front on the night of the 9th. On the 10th General Cubitt (commanding 57th Brigade), who went up to see the new front line, reported that the advance on the 9th was “an extraordinarily good show.” On the 17th the 9th Cheshire’s of the 58th Brigade attacked and captured Junction Buildings, which, however, were lost again on the 18th. Another counter-attack was launched by the 58th Brigade at dawn on the 19th, and by 3.35 a.m. the Buildings had been taken, but two hours later the enemy came on again in greatly superior numbers without artillery preparation, and, taking the captors by surprise, drove them out. The 56th Brigade next attacked the place (on the 22nd), and Junction Buildings were, for the third time, wrested from the enemy. The cost had, however, been so heavy that the Brigade Commander ordered a withdrawal near to the original line. Junction Buildings thus remained in the enemy’s hands until the Battles of Ypres had begun.

I presume Junction Buildings was near Junction Trench, which is on Trench Map '28NW4&NE3 Zillebeke', and is positioned in front (east) of Verbrandenmolen in the Hill 60 area. Only two of the 9th Welshmen killed on 19 July have known graves, and they are both officers- the 13 other ranks are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

SteveJ.

• 3 months later...

hi, I'm interested in what happened to the 9th Battalion on September 20th 1917. I'm researching a man from my home town and would love to know what happened to him and his comrades that day. On the CWGC site I can find 60 men from the 9th listed as dying that day so I presume they were involved in some fairly serious action. Does the Divisional History - or any other source - make mention of what went on with the 9th that day?

I now know it was the Battle of the Menin Road and that "At 5.40 a.m. that morning the 9th Welsh attacked the German positions in Hessian Wood. The conditions were atrocious with heavy, clinging mud preventing the troops from keeping pace with their own artillery barrage. They were held up by machine gun fire but managed to take the northern edge of it"

If anyone has further detail that would be superb.

• 5 years later...

I found this post when searching the same Regiment. Hessian Wood is shown on the enclosed extract Trench Map to the right of the Canal East of Hollebeke.

Bernard

Hessian-Trench-TM-correct-0.jpg

Hessian Wood is below large letter "P"

Bernard