Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alec George Day

David Porter

There is a cross at this church that reads:

James DAY, died 3 April 1917, aged 71.

Also his sons, Alec George, died from injuries received in the war 26 Aug 1920, aged 24,

and James Herbert, accidentally killed at Bridgnorth, 10 Dec 1923, aged 40.

James Herbert Day I know about, but Alec George Day is proving more difficult.

He is on the Roll of Honour (War Memorial) for Creech St. Michael - http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Somerset/CreechStMichael.html

However, I cannot find him anywhere on CWGC. Should he be on there?

Any information appreciated.

David

I think that you will need his death cert to even get to first base. The balance of probability is that he had left the army at the time of his death (I make that sweeping assumption on the grounds that it was Aug 1920, and that the memorial refers to war wounds, and that he does not appear to have CWGC recognition)

The death cert would/could tell you if there were ground for showing that it was in fact a war wound

You can get his birth, and he is in 1901 and 1911 census, but you would have to establish that he did serve in the army, Given he was a "law clerk" in 1911 I though there was a chance that he had been commissioned, but cannot find any commission in LG.

The most likely MIC has him in RGA, but that is not certain

If he was a solicitor's clerk, he may appear in "Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks 1914-1918 with his majesty's forces." which can be found online

If he was a solicitor's clerk, he may appear in "Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks 1914-1918 with his majesty's forces." which can be found online

he may appear in "Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks 1914-1918 with his majesty's forces."

Downloaded the book but he is not in it. I have also found the RGA medal card.

As corisande said, the Death Certificate seems to be the only way to go.

• 11 years later...

Gnr 72402 Royal Garrison Artillery, of 14 Malvern Terrace, Taunton. Disability (if any) and cause of death not stated in any of his records.

1282949697_DayAlecGeorge(72402).jpg.7f1cef774af8a52caa5ae330fffa9684.jpg

Buried at Creech St Michael, photo of headstone on Find-a-Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/230357260/alec-george-day#add-to-vc