Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal ribbons ID

Muerrisch

India GSM - Queens Sudan Medal - QSA (Or Med. Medal) - 14 or 14-15 Star BWM - Vic Medal - Coronation 1911 (or Dehli Durbar) -1935 Jubilee - 1937 Coronation Territorial Eff. Medal (or TD) - ????? - CDG Belgium US Army DCM - ?????

Cant get the missing two (but I'm sure some will!)

EDIT: Just reread the initial post OOOPS! Didn't see the 'Who' bit! In that case....I haven't a clue!

Hello Grumpy

starting top left and working right and down they are (I think):

India General Service Medal 1854-1895

Queen's Sudan Medal

Queen's South Africa Medal or Queen's Mediterranean Medal

1914 or 1914-15 Star

British War Meadl 1914-20

British Victory Medal

Coronation 1911 or Delhi Durbar 1911

Jubilee 1935

Coronation 1937

Territorial Force Efficiency Medal

Today gallantry Fund Medal

??????????????????

Distinguished service Medal (U.S.A.)

Khedive's Sudan Medal 1896-1908

I don't know who

Rich

Bottom row is Order of the Crown (Italy), Belgian Croix de Guerre, US Distinguished Service Medal, Khedive's Sudan Medal.

Who is he, Grumpy?

Charles M

I'm not at all confident that it is Trenchard - or any officer of senior Air Rank. Why? Absolutely no Orders or Decorations.

When he died Trenchard was OM GCB KCVO DSO. DSO: 1906. And these ribbons post-date that. CB: 1914. Ditto. KCB: 1918. Ditto.

Also missing are the Order of Leopold (1917); the Belgian Croix de Guerre (1918) the Legion d'Honneur (1917) a French Croix de Guerre, a Russian Order of St Anne, an Order of St Stanislaus and a Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure. All of these were awarded before 1937 - and there's a 1937 Coronation Medal in there. He was also Mentioned in Dispatches eight times in WW1 - and there's no oakleaf on the Victory Medal. Trenchard also qualified for a King's South African War Medal - and an African General Service Medal before WW1. He did not serve in India.

OK: the rack:

1. Indian General Service Medal 1895-1902 2. Queen's Sudan Medal 1897 3. Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902. 4. 1914 Star (without clasp) 5. British War Medal 1914-20

6. Interallied Victory Medal 7. 1911 Coronation Medal 8. 1935 Silver Jubilee Medal 9. 1937 Coronation Medal 10. Territorial Efficiency Decoration

11. Order of the Crown of Italy 12. u/i - but very faded; probably a Belgian CdeG 13. Distinguished Service Medal (USA) 14. Khedive's Sudan Medal 1896-1908

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/56CB2D3D-9DEF-46B3-876D-9352EAB4FDE2/0/Trenchard.jpg - shows him in the 20s.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Marshal_of_the_RAF_Sir_Hugh_Trenchard.jpg - gives a good idea of the ribbon layout.

Not Trenchard.... no idea who it might be, therefore - but the lack of any orders makes me doubt that it is an officer who got to Air Rank severely. It's not Sykes, either of the Symonds or Dowding (who didn't serve in South Africa).

Now there's a good idea Al, ;) - as Hon Air Commodore of 615 Squadron.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/DavidLayne/winston_churchill.gif

Apparently the wings were awarded '29 years after his first solo flight'; and his role in the formation of the RAF and the number of miles he flew in the course of the war - sometimes at the controls - was regarded by the Air Council as 'an absolute qualification' in 1943.

Churchills medals

Rich

post-60087-0-23973800-1320615614.jpg

Sir Winston Churchill, but without his ww2 and later ribbons.

Al

Coconut AND cigar!

As exhibited in the Churchill Museum within Bletchley Park, an astonishingly good day out for all the family.

Thanks to all!

Coconut AND cigar!

As exhibited in the Churchill Museum within Bletchley Park, an astonishingly good day out for all the family.

Thanks to all!

If only this quiz had a multi million pound prize.................

I'm happy with the coconut and cigar lol

Al

Ahhh... but there's a mistake...

He was awarded the Companion of Honour (CH) in 1922. So he should have the ribbon of it in this group (I did think it did not have a ribbon worn, like the Knight Bachelor, but it does....)