Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P08 Trooper Sword

Guest tse5a

Hi, I am doing up a Canadian cavalry trooper uniform France 1915-1918 and I have purchased a 08 sword from IMA. It came green from the Indian Army. What colour would the swords have been during WW1? It has been suggested bare metal but the fellow was not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have seen both. I think in peacetime they were burnished but painted green/khaki in wartime. Phil B

G'day mate,

You can leave it as it is, have seen batlefield sword which wer also coulored green, also brown. And yes yo may also makeit bare metal.

coo-ee

patrick

Just to add to the above I have seen leather covered examples also blued and nickled versions.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

P.S. Just leave it the way it is and welcome to the forum

Any of the wartime shades of WD green were used , if it is in the Indian paint finish leave it .

Don't forget they would have been knocked about and the paintwork well chipped , not in pristine condition , Indian scabbards were painted due to the adverse effects on steel of the Indian climate .

Chris

To Qualify that a bit more - all scabbards were painted when in France , also if I remember rightly the swords supplied to Indian Regts. had a slightly smaller hilt .

Chris

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. This is a very informative forum. I have started following it and thought some would know what colour. I am going to leave it as it is. Tim

good on mate,

iff ever trying to do a bit of tentpegging with it, then watch out of sticking it out to far. it may bent. :o Lots of fun with your sword mate.

coo-ee

patrick