Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skopje & Pristina & Nis

Neil Mackenzie

I am off to Macedonia visiting some friends for a few days and will be staying in Skopje and making a trip to Pristina as well. If you want any photos I will do my very best.

Neil

Neil

I would be grateful for this one from Skopje:

TOUGHILL, Mrs. CAROLINE M., C M

Nurse Scottish Women's Hospital 14/11/1915 A. 6.

Also some general views of the cemetery.

Thank you

Peter

Peter - I will definately be visiting Caroline's grave and I am hoping to visit on the anniversary of her death.

Jim - I received youe list and whilst Caroline is the only grave on there I am definately going to visit I am also hoping to get to Nis in Serbia. Not sure about that yet though.

Cheers

I am now definately going to Nis as well to visit the Chela Kula cemtery there.

I already have Jim's list of nurses) for that cemetery but if there are any other requests then please let me know.

Neil

Interesting that CWGC still list Nis(h) as being in "Serbia & Montenegro"

In 2002, Serbia and Montenegro came to a new agreement regarding continued co-operation, which, among other changes, promised the end of the name Yugoslavia, since they were part of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. On 4 February 2003, the federal parliament of Yugoslavia created a loose confederation - State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. A new Constitutional Charter was agreed to provide a framework for the governance of the country.

On Sunday, 21 May 2006, Montenegrins voted on an independence referendum, with 55.5% supporting independence. Fifty-five percent or more of affirmative votes were needed to dissolve the state union of Serbia and Montenegro. The turnout was 86.3% and 99.73% of the more than 477,000 votes cast were deemed valid.

The subsequent Montenegrin proclamation of independence on June 2006 and the Serbian proclamation of independence on 5 June ended the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro and thus the last remaining vestiges of the former Yugoslavia.

• 2 weeks later...

post-719-0-29317600-1321645907.jpg

Unfortunately I never made it to Nish due to a bit of an mess up (not by me). I was able to attend the rededication of the British memorial at the KFOR base in Pristina on 11 November - I was not allowed to take my camera in so have no photos of that. I also attended the Remembrance Sunday service at Skopje and was able to visit Caroline Toughill's grave on the anniversary of her death.

Neil