Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How is Beltring going?

museumtom

Anyone been to Beltring this week? For the benefit of all those pals who cannot make it I am asking anyone and everyone who is in Beltring to let us know whats going on, bargains etc...so........Come an tell us everything, don't miss out any details.

Drool.

Tom

I will be going on Sunday, hopefully I might pick up a bargain !!!

John

Hi,

i 've been there yesterday.

Shocked by the prices.

Shocked because on the more than 1000 shop only a lite bit of WW1 stuff was found.

Disapointed in what i found... :(

Probably the last visit to Beltring for me.

Just got back. There are the usual multitude of stalls selling everything from landrover wheel nuts to Scorpion tanks. I was looking at the price of SMLE's. There weren't many WW1 ones about and they all looked tohave brand new woodwork. from a previous thread I could also be a smartarse and tell my boy that one of them was screwed from the wrong side! Prices ranged from £225 (1916) to £350 (1915).

There were plenty of medals for sale but a bit on the high side. Maybe you could haggle.

There's also the usual gimps swaning around in German uniforms. Its funny how they don't dress as regular infantrymen but seem to be SS adorned with iron crosses.

The bottom line is that it's the same as every other year so if get down there if militaria is your thing.

One last thing - it was nice to see a Challenger in the arena. There will be another 80 or so for sale in a couple of years if Jeff Goon gets his way.

Mick (very badly sunburned neck) Mills

There's also the usual gimps swaning around in German uniforms. Its funny how they don't dress as regular infantrymen but seem to be SS adorned with iron crosses.

That is THE reason why i don't want to go as re-eanactor.

I want no links between me and those "cowboys" dressed up for carnival or showing their sick thoughts. Beltring is indeed a war (and peace???) SHOW.

A lot of show, no real history.

SS = Sick ****-heads; Stupid Suckers,... :angry:

About iron crosses, they better all had a wooden one...

have you noticed:

WW2 re-enactment = Never have been so few commanded by so many. :D

Was at Beltring today (Thurs) and the hot-dogs were ok but the beer was too warm :lol:

Lots to see, though WW1 is in the minority as usual. Dealers seemed slack, and friendly but persistant haggling was very much the order of the day. My mate came away with an SRD for a price that you'd never expect to get a dealer down to (kind of price you'd pay at a French street market, and feel very happy about), - a field find (but very fair condition) Hotchkiss 6pdr shell, knocked down to under a tenner, etc etc - a backpack full.

I picked up a 1917 dated 21cm Howitzer cartridge, converted into a quite ornate and attractive coal scuttle (yes, I do have a coal fire to go with it !), - an "interesting" deal because the (overseas) dealer turned out to be negotiating in £ Sterling but I also had Euros in my pocket and thought that he was going the same route .......... he didnt have anybody else to talk to so that dragged out a bit, but after a final (and very nominal) move back in his direction I came away happy. Then an 18pdr shell case "trench arted" to No1 South African Hospital at Abbeville, July 1918, (and I was nearly embarrassed at what the dealer finally let that go for) .... and then, a Brodie and some other bits & bobs.

The Brodie is interesting because I dont exactly know what I've bought ! - It looks "right" and it feels "right", to me at least, but then I'm not really into uniforms and equipment so I cant be 100% sure it is WW1 vintage (the dealer claimed nothing and I didnt ask). What I do know is that I am 100% happy with what I got it for .............. (anybody know of any pics on the web of what the inside should look like ?)

regards - Tom

Just got back from a second superb day at Beltring, as ever a fantastic atmosphere, beautiful weather and endless stalls to broswe. Picked up a few very nice items indeed including a superb untouched and complete Brodie and one other very scarce piece that via eBay will pay for the Brodie. ;)

Don't understand the negativity towards the IIWW re-enactors, very strange. To each, their own I guess. Beltring has always been more of a heavyweight military surplus/vehicle show, for people like me who are into military vehicles, Land Rovers, and the Great War there is much to see. But for a slightly more historical show I would recommend Military Odyssey in September.

There is genuinely desirable Great War militaria for sale and at the right prices at Hop Farm but it takes a lot of searching and haggling. If you have lots money to spend then pay a visit to Regimentals stall, a simply stunning collection of Great War militaria but only for the very affluent.

I would not miss the show for the world.

I would never miss it for the world either. I rarely spend a lot (maybe £50 max) - its about the atmosphere, browsing the amazing things for sale and all the enthusiasts.

I truly great annual event

I shall be there on my usual Friday... maybe one day I'll go Sunday as I have been advised if anyone wants any bargains thats the day...

Ryan

(not sure why this is under 'book reviews' though)

I could not make it this year but next year I WILL be ther.

Ok guys.what price fare the butcher bayonets 98/05? any sawbacks? SMLE bayonets ww1 dated? P08 webbing bits? P38 webbing cheap as ever? any Irish medals? P1916 german helmets? death plaques?any ww1 uniform bits? Is food and cola still a rip off? are they still showing the 'A'team, in the hall?

I wish I was with you all.

Tom.

To add a few more observations:

Entry fees and food as much a rip off as ever - worse Fri/Sat/Sun when entry is £12.50 each...I really want to go again tomorrow but on principle will not pay the asking. 100,000 people go through the gates at Beltring, that adds up to rather a lot of money for someone.

Two bacon sandwiches and two teas leaves little change from a tenner.

Toilets slightly better (that's not saying much).

Staff and marshalls I found very helpful and cheery today.

As for militaria see my previous comments but, there was an awful lot of repro, an awful lot. Much marked as such, much not. Lots of M16 helmets around, for the best it had to be Regimentals.

Not into re-enacting one bit but still smarting about the earlier comments. Why is one form of re-enacting/branch of armed forces/historical period more worthy than another? One person's re-enactment hobby is another person's playing soldiers. Each to their own.

SS = Sick ****-heads;

Kristof, I must say your English gets better by the day ;) Very accurate description.

Andy

How about.at twelve oclock midday tommorrow anyone from this forum who is in beltring goes to.........says............world wide arms stall...and holds up an ak47 and then someone takes a photo and posts it here. The we will know how many of this forum is in Beltring. Exactly at midday.

Tom

About my re-enacting comment.

Again it is NOT black and white, Bad and good. I am not contra WW2 living history.

BUT if you are into living histrory it is very typical to see mainly WW2 re-enactors with a lot of stripes, stars, pips. Or if it are nazi germany re-enactors they mostley have iron crosses, special badges etc. I did WW2 re-enacting and that was one of the reason that i stooped it. Too many Pattons, Capt. Millers, Ryans,... As i joinded a WW1 group i noticed that most of them had no rank at all. And that goes for most of the groups too. And if their are some ranks, it goes up reasonable, those are mostley people responsible for the group too.

I hope there are some groups who are acting historical. But as said, i didn't see much of these at Beltring. Even the vechicles have stars on it (red plates with silver stars), see the entrance, the dodge. I don't think Generals or Colonels drive in dodges.

A few months ago there was a topic about living history and respect for the veterans, the past. it was almost everybody was breaking down the living history groups. The conclusion was that it is good, when done with respect and historical approach. Doesn't that goes up for WW2 too? I believe so, but that is my opinion.

And if the groups that you know are historical, well then this is a relief for me that there are indeed others.

An other example. There is a nice lady on Beltring who makes custom hand made repro uniforms, also for women. I informed about a VAD tunic for my wife. But i had to wait because she was busy with a WW2 WAAF order. And what was the special request? 1 big stripe + 1 small stripe on the sleeves and the shoulders.

Again those ranks...

Maybe i am blinded by my view on living history, but for me it was not nice to see.

Sorry if my opinion is offensive, i don't want it to be offensive. But this is a discussion forum, so i say what i think about it. I hope you can apreciate that.

Cheers,

kristof

Just got back from Friday at Beltring and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Car park was packed but the stalls were not overly busy so most people must have been watching the show.

As already said by other posters, a lot of repro was being sold as genuine kit but also some good quality merchandise could be found - better than previous coupel of years. Pleasant surprise was prices. Some sellers were continuing with exorbitant prices but some of the more realistic sellers were quoting what I considered very reasonable modern day prices for genuine gear. One bloke had a sign outside saying 20% of all marked prices.

There was not an abundance of WW1 but it was available. There were a handful of medal sellers - all expensive IMHO.

I bought a few things from different sellers and actually paid less than I expected to be asked for all items. A couple of items the sellers gave me there bottom prices as an opener - they wouldnt go lower although possibly if I had waited until Sunday, they may have budged. Talking to some of the sellers I have traded with previously they said there was a realisation that after D-Day expenses and other 60th anniversay fairs, that buyers dont have the cash this year. Next year might be different.

In summary, a better Beltring than last couple of years.

Talking to some of the sellers I have traded with previously they said there was a realisation that after D-Day expenses and other 60th anniversay fairs, that buyers dont have the cash this year.  Next year might be different.

I think next year will be much the same if not maybe more.

With the 60th anniversary of WW2 commemoration events taking place on Sunday 10th July 2005, the mid-point between Victory in Europe (VE) and Victory in Japan (VJ) days and Beltring 2005 just round the corner I am sure it will be 2006 that things will settle a bit more. I am thinking I need to try a Sunday just to test the rumours I have heard first hand about prices.

Overall a good show. As per usual far too much to see and as a result all I bought was a webbing pouch that serves as a rather nice (and cheap) digital camera case ! good for the wallet though having been in Normandy in June.

No complaints (we take our own sandwiches and splash out on a pint of 'Spitfire') and weather perfect.

I think the photo below sums up some aspects!

post-22-1090611100.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance but what and were is Beltring? I presume from what has been posted that it is an annual event selling military items. Is it held the same week each year?

Thanks,

Ivor

Please excuse my ignorance but what and were is Beltring? I presume from what has been posted that it is an annual event selling military items. Is it held the same week each year?

Thanks,

Ivor

The official website for the event (although indeed held at the hop farm in Kent) is http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

This should be in everyones bookmarks :)

Ryan

I managed to pick up what I think were a couple of bargains, "The History of the Great War" by The Waverley Book Company edited by Newman Flower with an inscription inside the front cover of "To John Bone A souvenir of his days in France from Newman Flower cost £30.00 Also First World War by Martin Gilbert £4.00.

John