Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry William Orvis, DCM, MSM

wpf1958

I am researching 18825 Serjeant Henry William Orvis, 29th Battalion Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) who is commemorated on the Panel 11 of the Ploegsteert Memorial, being recorded as killed between 14h April and 15th May 1918, aged 29.

I know that he had previously served in the Essex Regiment with service number 8364. I have both his DCM and MSM citation.

Does anyone know any more about this man? Anything would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm

Found this site on the web

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/GreatOakley.html

Dai

I am researching 18825 Serjeant Henry William Orvis, 29th Battalion Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) who is commemorated on the Panel 11 of the Ploegsteert Memorial, being recorded as killed between 14h April and 15th May 1918, aged 29.

I know that he had previously served in the Essex Regiment with service number 8364. I have both his DCM and MSM citation.

Does anyone know any more about this man? Anything would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm

Hope this of further help to you.

Machine Gun Corps ( Infantry )

Born: Stones Green, Essex.

Enlisted: Warly.

Resident: Stones Green.

K in A: 15/05/18.

Formerly: 8364 Essex Regiment D C M.

Gerwyn

• 8 years later...

Red Cross PoW enquiry was made

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/3/2/224/0/British and Commonwealth/Military/Orvis 

In the ORTON group [record 47 of 50] - you can expand and search further by hovering over the image and following the link & options = Recorded as buried in the neighbourhood of Vieux Berquin (Tomb 32) 1-15.5.18

Thanks the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Card

Missing 14.4.18

Dependant/Mother: Mrs Sarah Orvis awarded 16.11.18, 3/6 per week from 3.12.18 [She appears recorded DEAD 1933 from an entry 19.1.34]