Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just How Much Could One Man Take?

fotonix

I couldn't quite believe the sheer roll call of horror story battles that this man went through. All those places I've read about for so long.

10108863_5fd1564344_o.jpg

An unusual momento! Have you any background on the shield? The rows of epaulettes for example. I think they look like parts of German uniform. Taken from prisoners? A record of units engaged by the division?

Old Tom

Hi Fotonix. I also am very interested in this shield, and would like more information, if possible. Regards. JIM.

P.S. Thank you for shareing this with us.

Interesting shield. Note the two dates. 11 11 1918 I can figure but why 22 3 1918 I wonder. It's not a date I can readily associate with any major 38th Div activity.

Do you know the identities involved? Capt J R Morris may be of the South Wales borderers with an address of Police Station, Pentrefoelas in 1920?

"all above battles and many before" Given that Mametz was their first real baptism it suggest Sgt Major Rowlands was with other units before his 38th Div unit. Any idea who he is?

Hywyn

• 8 years later...

Typically...as of late...responding very much after posts have been discussed...as a native of Pentrefoelas I know where J.R. Morris is buried...if it is of interest?

Iwan.