Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM Repair - Who's Good?

fotonix

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area, but it doesn't really fit in any discrete place!

I've just inherited the MM group of my great grandfather. The MM had the suspension bar cut away from the clasp to make it into a pendant a very long time ago. I have the bar, so I'd like to hear people's recommendations for a good silversmith that can restore the medal to as good a condition as possible under the circumstances. Alternatively, you may have a 'don't fiddle with it' or other view, which I'm also happy to consider.

Thanks,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area, but it doesn't really fit in any discrete place!

I've just inherited the MM group of my great grandfather. The MM had the suspension bar cut away from the clasp to make it into a pendant a very long time ago. I have the bar, so I'd like to hear people's recommendations for a good silversmith that can restore the medal to as good a condition as possible under the circumstances. Alternatively, you may have a 'don't fiddle with it' or other view, which I'm also happy to consider.

Thanks,

Hi,

Chris Dixon (on 01262-603348) of Dixon's Medals is probably as good as anyone? although Peter Granger-Allen (on 01962-888427) of G-A Medals, may also be a good bet. Maybe worth asking both for a quote-- although they may need some good quality pictures of the damage in order to do this?

Good luck,

Robert

I would agree with Old Owl. I have had very good service from Peter G-A.

Thanks for both (very prompt!) replies.

I'll give Peter G-A a go, then!

Chris Dixon replaced the suspenders on the MM and BWM shown below with original parts. I would also recommend him if Peter is busy.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-81248400-1320265001.jpg

Chris Dixon replaced the suspenders on the MM and BWM shown below with original parts. I would also recommend him if Peter is busy.

regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Chris has made a very good job of these--but the medals have had a very hard life!! Well loved by someone--perhaps an over zealous relative and a tin of Brasso!!?

Robert

Hi

Wasn't there a saying, if the medals have been highly polished, the soldier survived the war.

Gerwyn