Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC wording of commemoration

Myrtle

I am wondering why there is a difference in the wording of the recently added details on the CWGC and those of the men who were added a while back as non- commemorations?

When I applied for my step-great grandfather to be added with Terry Denham's help, there was a N.B. added on the website details: "This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission."

When I look at the recent added non-comms. there is no mention of having been recently added.

e.g.

DUTTON, HARRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/03/1918

Service No: 3/9329

Additional information: Son of William and Catherine Dutton; husband of Ethel Dutton, of Darlington.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: UNITED KINGDOM BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE

Also is the UK Book of Remembrance only for those men and women whose graves have not yet been discovered and if so are their names removed from the book once their resting places are located?

Regards

Myrtle

I will be interested to see the answer from an expert. I had not heard of the UK Book of Remembrance until I read your post this evening. It does look like a holding location and the information below from the CWGC site seems to confirm this.There are only 144 entries

• The United Kingdom Book of Remembrance commemorates United Kingdom casualties of the two World Wars who were not formerly recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The men and women remembered here are presently commemorated soleley by their database and register entry. The Commission will continue to investigate the grave location details.

Ian

Myrtle

I cannot be certain but I suspect a good proportion of the names in the Book are men accepted after being submitted via the In From the Cold Project over the last 3-4 years. Almost 1400 names have now been accepted through this route and, whilst some names have already been added to the appropriate Memorial, inevitably it will take some time for this work to be completed.

Neil

Myrtle

I cannot be certain but I suspect a good proportion of the names in the Book are men accepted after being submitted via the In From the Cold Project over the last 3-4 years. Almost 1400 names have now been accepted through this route and, whilst some names have already been added to the appropriate Memorial, inevitably it will take some time for this work to be completed.

Neil

Thanks Neil

I thought the same as you but would like it confirmed by one of the In From The Cold team in addition to finding out why there is the difference in the CWGC website entries.

See Terry's comment in

The United Kingdom Book of Remembrance is a 'virtual' memorial recently created (along with similar ones for Australia and South Africa) to give recognition to the commemoration of newly accepted names of men who died in the UK whose graves have not yet been located and where there is a reasonable expectation of a grave being found. It also holds the names of new casualties whose grave site is known but which has not yet been inspected by CWGC and all formalities completed.

Upon inspection and completion of the formalities, the commemoration is moved to the grave location. As such, the 'Book' is a temporary holding place to avoid an accepted name not being added to the Debt of Honour whilst the grave is located etc. Until the introduction of this memorial feature, an accepted name could wait between six months to a year (or more) without being made public.

There is also a Canadian BoR performing the same function but this is slightly different in that a physical book does exist and is on display in Ottawa as it holds the names of all Canadians who have died in service from all wars. CWGC regards it as a proper memorial to those men whose graves in Canada have not yet been found.

Answering Myrtle's question... The note is added to new commemorations to try to prevent anyone rushing off to view a newly accepted name on a memorial or in a cemetery when it can take a long time after acceptance for a name to be inscribed or a headstone to be erected. Such a note is not required on Book of Remembrance entries as there is no site to visit.

Answering Myrtle's question... The note is added to new commemorations to try to prevent anyone rushing off to view a newly accepted name on a memorial or in a cemetery when it can take a long time after acceptance for a name to be inscribed or a headstone to be erected. Such a note is not required on Book of Remembrance entries as there is no site to visit.

Terry

Thank you for your very helpful detailed explanation regarding the Book of Remembrance.

Regarding the N.B. adddition to my great grandfather's CWGC commemoration; as he is already commemorated on a private gravestone and his grave was said to have been inspected before the commemoration was added to the web site , I don't understand why there is still the comment "This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission." especially as he was accepted approximately 3 years ago.

Terry, if this is general practice by CWGC, do you know how long the comment normally remains on the website before being removed?

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle

It is a very ad hoc addition in my experience and is down to the inputting staff member. It is removed when someone has reason to remove it. To the best of my knowledge there is no set pattern and it can just depend on circumstances. I did ask the same question myself some years ago and the reply was along those lines.

They started to be added about five years ago and I can't recall one being removed - but, then, it's not something I keep an eye on.