Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MID OAK LEAF EMBLEM

hondolane

Hi.

With regard to the MID Oak Leaf emblem worn on the WW1 Victory Medal ribbon. I think the regulations stated it should be on the ribbon at an angle of 60 degrees with the leaves pointing towards the left shoulder. My question is what (if any) is the official/regulation distance between top of medal (or bottom of ribbon) and emblem.

Thanks<BR clear=all>

IIRC the distance was 1/2" from the top of the suspension loop not in the middle :thumbsup: HB

• 5 months later...

Sorry to jump in on this, but i have 2 oak leaves on one ribboned medal..... is this unusual if they are to be placed at an angle?

I am trying to up load an image of this, but it keeps rejecting, i can email if anyone would like to view.

HI Claire

It does not mattere how many Mentions they got, they were supposed to only have 1 oakleaf on the Victory medal.

Some did put more on, but not offficial.

regards

Robert

PS With the picture, it is proboably too big, resize it below 100kb and it will go on.

i had read on National archives that they can be mentioned many times, but would only receive one Oak Leaf spray. The other which sits above, is slightly smaller.

Also i noticed others have mentioned on here about MID. Its been interesting! Shame we can't turn back the hand of time and ask them.

What you have there is the reduced size leaf for attaching to the ribbon bar when ribbons only are worn (the top one) and the full-size leaf for wearing on the ribbon of the actual medal (the bottom one). Unless the picture is upside down, the leaves are also pointing the wrong way - and only the larger should be on a ribbon attached to a medal. Hope that helps.

It helps a lot, for it was a real head scratcher! the pic is the right way up i won't turn them around, for they are really fixed it, plus its not for me/us as a family to do that- we'll just leave it as he put them.

Many thanks again

What you have there is the reduced size leaf for attaching to the ribbon bar when ribbons only are worn (the top one) and the full-size leaf for wearing on the ribbon of the actual medal (the bottom one). Unless the picture is upside down, the leaves are also pointing the wrong way - and only the larger should be on a ribbon attached to a medal. Hope that helps.