Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E G Brookes DFC

Simon Birch

Good Evening,

I would be interested to hear any comments on the pictures below. They relate to Captain Eric Guy Brookes, 65 Squadron RFC / RAF. Would anyone know where they may have been taken and / or comments on the aircraft?

Thanks for your help,

Simon

And...

post-38844-0-12970700-1320003379.jpg

post-38844-0-77510700-1320003532.jpg

the aircraft in the first two photos looks to me like a Hanriot HD-1, a French aircraft of 1916-17. It wasn't used by the RFC or the French air force but was used in combat by the Belgian and Italian air forces. It was often confused with the Sopwith Pup and I freely admit that is a mistake I too may be making.

Nigel

The Belgian aeroplane is definitely a Hanriot HD-1 of 1ere [later renumbered 9éme] Escadrille Belge. The first British type is a Sopwith Camel, as used by No 65 Sqn RFC/RAF, and the second is an Avro 504 trainer.

Gareth

Hi

In the book 'Sopwith Camel, King of Combat' by Chas Bowyer, there is a photograph (page 33) of a Camel with a fuselage marking of a thistle identical to the Hanriot in your picture. The caption states that it is the unit marking of a Belgium Escardille 9 (Camel).

Alec

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help and input.

What was the Hanriot actually used for - was it a front line fighter or more a trainer. And at first glance it does look like a Camel - did one have an impact on the design of the other?

The picture with the holes punched into it - does anyone have any idea what is in the backgound / and or where it my have been taken?

Simon

Willy Coppens the top scoring Belgian ace of the war scored all his victories (34 balloons and 3 aircraft) flying the Hanriot. before a serious injury ended his flying career.

• 7 years later...

Hi there I've been trying to find out more information on E G Brookes, he is my great uncle and I stumbled across these photos, where did they come from? And would you have any further information on his war record?

I will send a message to Simon Birch, he is still a regular visitor to this forum.

Hopefully he will respond.

BillyH.

4 hours ago, Hawkpwn said:

Hi there I've been trying to find out more information on E G Brookes, he is my great uncle and I stumbled across these photos, where did they come from? And would you have any further information on his war record?

Hello Hawkpwn.

I got them from a chap called Philip Hannan - a Canadian, who from memory was the nephew of Eric. I do have an old e-mail address for him if you want to try and contact him - if so PM me. I am not related myself - EGB happened to go to my old school.

I do have some contact reports and photo's of his grave. I also have his AIR76 - again if you PM me with an e-mail address I will happily forward everything I have. If you get stuck leave a comment here and we will find another way.

Simon

• 11 months later...

The photos are fantastic.  I would be really interested in any info you have on E.G. Brookes as well.  He is my great-grand uncle.  

2 hours ago, Anthony Brookes said:

The photos are fantastic.  I would be really interested in any info you have on E.G. Brookes as well.  He is my great-grand uncle.  

Simon Birch has two posts on this Forum that give detailed overview of the life and service of Captain Eric Guy Brookes, as follows:

--"Remembering Today Captain Eric Guy Brookes (posted 8 August 2010)

--"Service Record Interpretation Captain Eric Guy Brookes (10 June 2009)

You should be able to access Simon's posts by entering "Eric Guy Brookes" in the Search function.

Josquin