Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48th Highlanders of Canada 1914

Moonraker

I'm fairly sure that these officers, photographed on Salisbury Plain 1914, belong to the 48th Highlanders of Canada. Confirmation appreciated - there's no chance they could belong to any of the other Canadian Highland units of the First Canadian Contingent? And are they second lieutenants? Thanks.

post-6017-0-57957400-1319986224.jpg

Just noticed the big safety pin holding one man's kilt together. Or have I committed a solecism and is there a special name for it? Was it usual, or was he just worried about the Salisbury Plain winds?

Moonraker

And are they second lieutenants? Thanks.

Just noticed the big safety pin holding one man's kilt together. Or have I committed a solecism and is there a special name for it? Was it usual, or was he just worried about the Salisbury Plain winds?

The pin is known as a kilt pin :whistle: , the chap on the viewers right is a full Lieutenant (2 pips and one row of braid), and from the positioning of the single pip visible on the other chaps arm he would appear to be the same (it would be worn centrally if he was only a Second Lieutenant with one pip).

The pin is known as a kilt pin :whistle: , the chap on the viewers right is a full Lieutenant (2 pips and one row of braid), and from the positioning of the single pip visible on the other chaps arm he would appear to be the same (it would be worn centrally if he was only a Second Lieutenant with one pip).

Did the 48th wear double hose flashes? If someone is aware of this detail it might pin it down for you.

Unfortunately I do not know the answer.

Chris

Thanks for the quick responses. I'd done a Google search for the 48th and those images I found certainly suggested that my two men belonged to that battalion. The officer on the right doesn't appear to have a kilt pin, presumably he's relying on a button or two?

Moonraker

Did the 48th wear double hose flashes? If someone is aware of this detail it might pin it down for you.

Unfortunately I do not know the answer.

Chris

Chris et al.,

Yes, the 48th (aka 15th BN CEF) wore those type garter flashes.

Joe Sweeney