Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Resolution images of medals

jvkpaulsutton

Does anybody know when I can get high resolution images of WW1 medals? In particular the 1914-1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal as issued to members of the AIF?

I'm looking for at least 300 DPI so that they can printed or resized with no loss of sharpness. The ones I've found are all 72DPI which is fine for online but not good for printing.

Thanks

Assuming you have access to the actual medals, use a scanner and scan to uncompressed TIFF format.-Dave.

Hi Dave, this sounds very interesting. I've just attempted to scan a WW1 medal as you suggest, however the only options my scanner offers are

1. Scan to E-mail
  2. Scan to image
  3. Scan to OCR
  4. Scan to File

Does your scanner have an additional option of 'Scan to uncompressed TIFF'?

Thanks for your help, regards Andrew

Andrew,

Use 'scan to image' and then, when saving the image, select '.tif' as the file type instead of the usual .jpg or .bmp, etc.

Ken

Andrew, Use 'scan to image' and then, when saving the image, select '.tif' as the file type instead of the usual .jpg or .bmp, etc.

Ken

Aha, thanks very much for the useful tips Ken, this has worked very nicely. That said, I reckon my digital camera using the macro function manages to take slightly better images.

Images below, first one scanned to TIFF format and the second one down (same medal) taken with my digital camera.

post-47732-0-55359400-1319929620.jpg

post-47732-0-36266100-1319929638.jpg