Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badges in Helmets

PhilB

In his book From Messines to 3rd Ypres, Thomas Floyd (ex Lt 2/5th LF) states that Lt Col Best-Dunkley of VC fame "conceived the brilliant idea that our battalion should set an example to the rest of the brigade by having cap badges in our steel helmets as well as in our soft hats." This was June 24th 1917 and Floyd was highly disapproving. I wonder how they were supposed to affix them. Stick them on or get the armourer to make suitable holes (for a whole battalion)? Do examples exist?

Though many of the helmets in Haselgrove and Radovic's book Helmets of the First World War are questionable, there are three or four examples of helmets with metal cap badges mounted to the front that look plausible. I have a 4th CMRR example that's packed away but i believe it was soldered on in some way. If a certain Brodie helmet authority would ever complete his long awaited (and possibly mythical) book, we might find the answer revealed as well as having a much needed definitive book on British helmets.

Best Regards,

Dave

Phil

Here is an example of a Berks Brodie with the Regimental Badge affixed from the Somme in July 1916:

post-859-0-62777500-1319893411.jpg

As far as I can discern there is a narrow cloth band above the rim with the badge pinned on.

Mel