Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Presentation plaque from Aussies to Exeter

redbarchetta

I bought this plaque a year or so ago. It has always bugged me why such a poignant item should have found its way onto the open market. While it has a good home here, in a house cluttered with contemporary detritus, do any pals from Exeter know what building this was from ? I presume said building has been demolished, but it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of the Council to have found a new home for it (apart from mine, I mean).

Any idea, people ?

post-6-1090441171.jpg

I have a small card that was kept by a digger and it is printed with;

From the Mayoress of Exeter and Committee.

Wishing you good luck

On the reverse is written;

'This is what we got with a bun at Exeter & our water bottle filled with tea between Devonport & Amesbury when we landed. I told you all about it when I wrote - It was very exceptable & I thought the bun was the nicest I ever had.'

I must add that this man ( runner with 32nd Batt., A.I.F.) lived to a ripe old age.

Chris,

How lovely !! You can picture the scene in the Council meeting beforehand - ship full of tired, sweaty diggers, arrival in England after god knows how long travelling up from Down Under - what to give them.... ahh, a cup of tea and a bun !! Well that's that sorted then !!

But seriously, thanks for this info Chris, it does provide some background to the plaque. If you ever come to sell that card, let me know as it would compliment the plaque perfectly!

All the best and thanks

Jim

Jim,

I can send you a scan or a good colour photocopy of it, If you like. The card is part of this old chap's possessions, and all the souvenirs have been kept together, so I could never sell it. The usual wallet with a shell fragment through it, leave passes, German shoulder straps, &c.

Contact me off list and let me know where to send a copy for you.

best regards,

Chris

• 11 years later...

I have the same card from my Great Grandad. On the reverse he has written:

August 26th 1916

Exeter Stn 

Large Fire 28.50 L (?) of Merville Chur.

The last line is lost on me. I have no idea what it means.

Thanks, Don.  I hope your gr granddad enjoyed his tea and bun in Exeter!

Merville is a small town in northern France (went to a street market there a few years ago, but wasn't much good for me!) so perhaps he used this card to write down a message for the telegrapher - Large Fire Left of Merville Church (no idea what the 28.50 could be, unless it is 08.50, i.e. the time).

James