Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help required on 2 patches please

goldmax 007

Hello all any help on these 2 patches brought a Queen Mary xmas tin and these where found inside with a few other bits can not find anything in any of my books

thanks for the quick response as i dont collect this type of thing i will sell on if anyone is interested

thanks for the quick response as i dont collect this type of thing i will sell on if anyone is interested

I have tried to pm you, if you still have them for sale can you pm me, thanks

Mike Chappell's 'British Battle Insignia of the First World War' in the Osprey series has an illustration of this in wear. It was worn on the left cuff.

Worn on the right forearm in my copy of said book. Seems an odd place for a Div insignia to be worn?

Hello,

I am interested if still available as I collect 19th div.

It seems to be 8th glosters arm patch .

thanks

Florent

sorry chaps patches sold will reply to pms asap

Is there any chance of having the picture reposted it was a very useful reference photo. thanks Mark

Yes thanks that's great!

hi thanks for reposting my photo not sure what happened to it

Any comment on this pair 19th Western Div(?) patches most welcome. They do not conform by colour to the accepted pattern but are all black and khaki thread. They have been worn and removed from a tunic. My thoughts are that they may be locally produced or home made with common threads available to the soldier or I could be barking up entirely the wrong tree!

thanks in advance

Mark

post-11424-0-61294900-1320510609.jpg

post-11424-0-61249000-1320510620.jpg

post-11424-0-69220300-1320510627.jpg

Hi Mark,

They appear to be homemade items as you say not exactly the "butterfly" 19th. Div.emblem, there was another division with a similar emblem which I cannot recall at the moment, I will look it up.

Colin.

Colin,

Many thanks. Mark

Mark

I wonder if they could be early patches, before the brigade colours were decided on. I don't see what they can be except 19 Div signs, as they have age, khaki thread, and a pair so worn on both arms and unlikely to be a scout or similar badge, etc.

Here is a typical 19 Div sign in my possession. I forget the brigade colour scheme but doubtless someone here knows it.

Rgds, W.

post-6903-0-86650400-1320667763.jpg

post-6903-0-42282400-1320667774.jpg

There is little doubt about the first pair shown, nor the last pair by W . however I have doubts about your two patches Mark,just my opinion . Perhaps Arthur could enlighten us.

Colin.

Thanks for all the comments. In the flesh they compare favouarbly in type of cloth and thread I have observed in other WW1 period insignia. I note a variation in construction of both WFs and deus' patches both in the wings and clearly background. Mine are clearly butterflies and have the irregular construction that appears to tipify the 19th Div Patches and they share some but by no means all similarities of detail with the aforementioned patches. However there are more experienced collectors than I so would welcome further thoughts and views. I believe they are WW1 period but it seems may not be 19th Div. As they are hand sewn or so it appears there is a lot of work for nefarious faker to undertake if they are intended to deceive.

Many thanks again to all who have helped with the info.

regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

Mark

Here is a typical 19 Div sign in my possession. I forget the brigade colour scheme but doubtless someone here knows it.

Rgds, W.

I am interested to learn about these Brigades color scheme as I have a 19th RFA Tunic with two different patches (already shown on the forum).

Can somebody tell me more please ?

2i9l8np.jpg

30lhphh.jpg

Thanks