Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th (County of London) Cyclist Battalion

tn.drummond

Recent ebay purchase.

We all have our Holy Grail and mine is photographs of 25th London Cyclists as my maternal Great Grandfather (in part remembrance of whom I use the Suddery moniker) served with the 1st Battn. It's particularly difficult to come across them as I'm not the only keen collector and, in the world of postcards, they command high prices.

As I know that the 2nd Battalion wore the Field Service Cap I took a punt and purchased the attached earlier in the week on the off chance.

What I think I've got is a Group of 25th Battalion Cyclists sitting nearby 2 Norfolks which makes sense as the 2/25ths were based in Norfolk on Costal defence duties in April 1915. The badges are not clear but both the Norfolk Regt and 25th had very distinctive badge silhouettes which seem to me to be a match. There's also a very interesting bandolier type piece of kit hanging on a fence post that I would like to i/d.

Please let me know if I'm indulging in a bit of wish fulfilment.

TIA

FGS

post-53823-0-58879200-1319715192.jpg

Above refers - managed to squeeze them onto one posting - happy to try and enlarge if of help.

post-53823-0-45995400-1319716502.jpg

post-53823-0-49536000-1319716534.jpg

post-53823-0-71223800-1319716557.jpg

I'd agree with you. The soldier in the SD cap leaning against the tree surely does look to have a badge the right shape for the Norfolks from the shiny blur (sits back and awaits cries of 'no, it's the South Lancs etc. etc.) - and the fellow in the sidecap has a badge that I would be happy to identify as 25th London.

The man on the right with the side cap is definitely 25th London.

Sincere thanks to you both. I shall retire very happy tonight. It's always nice to have something a little bit unclear confirmed.

I can vouch for the Norfolk as it's much clearer than the image came out in the scan.

Again, many thanks

FGS

The bandolier appears to be that for the 1903 Mounted Infantry equipment and was worn by cyclist units. It is the lower item in this image.

post-599-0-97300100-1319739164.jpg

I've enhanced the image (theoretically?) and must admit to being baffled. It looks to have a 'bivy' or perhaps waterproof cape strapped onto it and the pockets/pouches look most odd, almost as if they are sealed units. I don't think on reflection it is the bandolier you've posted but then again I'm always happy to be surpised and corrected.

Thanks, as always, Moonfleet.

post-53823-0-27301800-1319740606.jpg

I've enhanced the image (theoretically?) and must admit to being baffled. It looks to have a 'bivy' or perhaps waterproof cape strapped onto it and the pockets/pouches look most odd, almost as if they are sealed units. I don't think on reflection it is the bandolier you've posted but then again I'm always happy to be surpised and corrected.

Thanks, as always, Moonfleet.

It is clear that it is a series of pouches, each sized to hold 2 x 5 round clips of .303 ammunition and you can see the cover securing tabs on the reverse. I am confident that is is a bandolier of some kind and I can make out the pouches of the opposite side. The 1903 Bandolier was standard equipment for all mounted and cyclist units at that time, but I concede that the aspect is odd and if it is the reverse side then (as a rhetorical question) why can the belt part not be seen?

It is clear that it is a series of pouches, each sized to hold 2 x 5 round clips of .303 ammunition and you can see the cover securing tabs on the reverse. I am confident that is is a bandolier of some kind and I can make out the pouches of the opposite side. The 1903 Bandolier was standard equipment for all mounted and cyclist units at that time, but I concede that the aspect is odd and if it is the reverse side then (as a rhetorical question) why can the belt part not be seen?

I was hoping you'd reply & many thanks for that.

I completely agree that they are pouches but it's the shape that is different. These are almost rectangular without the clearly defined "coffin" appearance of the lower third of the 1903 bandolier. Bizarrely (and I'm not mooting this as a possible solution) it almost looks like the back of a waistcoat or similar. The form of the fence post probably confuses the issue.

FGS

I was hoping you'd reply & many thanks for that.

I completely agree that they are pouches but it's the shape that is different. These are almost rectangular without the clearly defined "coffin" appearance of the lower third of the 1903 bandolier. Bizarrely (and I'm not mooting this as a possible solution) it almost looks like the back of a waistcoat or similar. The form of the fence post probably confuses the issue.

FGS

Yes, as you say, it is not clear and unless we get another image I cannot see that it can be resolved with any degree of certainty.