Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Model British Helmet ?

Lachlan

Hi All

Many years ago, before I got married and circumstances made me sell my cherished little WW1 collection, I had a Portuguese WW1 helmet. I don't have a photo anymore, but it was the oval "jelly-mould" model, with the ribbed crown and single vent hole on each side (with raised edge) and had a constant width of rim all round. It was khaki-painted with leather chinstrap and had a leather liner sweatband and utility-quality blanket lining.

I understand the British manufactured them and issued them to our Portuguese allies until later replaced by Brodie helmets.

I also used to have a collection of WW1 magazines in bound volumes (War Illustrated ? I've forgotten) and I still remember one issue dated in late 1915 showing a head/shoulders studio photo of a British soldier wearing such a helmet and the caption described it as an prototype steel helmet by Hadfield for the British Army.

My question is:- was this indeed the original British model of steel helmet tried out before the Brodie was available ?

If so, I can't recall reading about it since. Also, during what period were they manufactured for the Portuguese, or were they British Army surplus no longer required by the British ?

The type was used as a private purchase item by officers slightly before and at the start of the issue helmet use- but orders then stated it was not to be used- I'm sure someone will have the full facts to hand. Regards, Paul.

Thanks Paul