Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cadet William Winslow WAIT, a Canadian

melliget

Hello.

I came across the attached article in The Times, 13 May 1918. It refers to several air accidents that happened shortly before that date. Most of the men I can find on the CWGC site, except for two - a Cadet William Winslow WAIT, a 26 year old Canadian, who's plane nose-dived into Elstree Reservoir and was drowned, and a civilian observer in another accident in which a Lieut. LUTYENS also died (the latter is on CWGC). The civilian was DAVID HUME (or HUGH) PINSENT, B.A., Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, also 26 years old. I realise civilians are only commemorated in special circumstances but I thought I'd check anyway.

The article doesn't mention which service WAIT was attached to, if any. Could he have have been a Cadet Officer with the RFC in Canada and then been posted to England?

In the same issue of The Times, in the Died of Wounds section:

PINSENT.- On the 8th May, killed while flying,

DAVID HUME PINSENT, B.A., Royal Aircraft Establish-

ment, Farnborough, only surviving son of Mr. and Mrs.

Hume C. Pinsent, of Foxcombe Hill, near Oxford, and

Birmingham, aged 26.

Ten days later there was this:

The Times, Saturday, May 18, 1918

News in Brief

After a week's search, the body of David Hugh

Pinsent, the civilian observer who was killed with

Lieutenant Lutyens while flying on an experimental

test, has been found in the Basingstoke Canal.

regards,

Martin

post-29417-0-54924300-1319464578.jpg

Martin

according to his RAF personnel card his name was William W Winston Wait & confirms that he died in an aircrash 9th May 1918. However no rank is listed & his NOK is shown as Mrs R Harrison (Aunt) of Halfmoon St London.

Im going to have to have a word with Terry about this one & do some more looking up myself which will not be unable do until Fri as Iam on holiday at the moment & am not using my own PC

Chris

Cadet Wait would not qualify for CWGC commemoration as he was a member of the US forces. Here is his entry from ABMC. He is buried at Brookwood.

William W. Wait

Private First Class, U.S. Army

US Army Air Service

Entered the Service from: New York

Died: May 9, 1918

Buried at: Plot A Row 5 Grave 18

Brookwood American Cemetery

Brookwood, England

Thanks to 'Dolphin' for a pointer in the right direction.

Further information on David Pinsent:

DAVID HUME PINSENT, BA, son of Hume C Pinsent, was killed while flying as an Observer from .... Farnborough in a DH4 no 7671 on 8th May 1918. The aircraftwas piloted by Lt. L F G Lutyens. They were carrying out pressuretests on the tailplane when it failed and the aircraft broke up in mid air andcrashed at Frimley, killing both on board. D H Pinsent's bodywas found on 14th May 1918 in the Basingstoke Canal. He attended Lambrook School, Winkfield Row, near Bracknell and is listed on the Roll of Honour in the school chapel. During World War I, Pinsent was deemed unsuitable foractive military service. He trained as a test pilot instead, and worked at the Royal AircraftEstablishment in Farnborough There is no information at the Farnborough Air Museum about him or the accident.

His mother, Ellen Frances Pinsent, was made a Dame of the British Empire in 1938 for her work in mental health reform.

Cadet Wait would not qualify for CWGC commemoration as he was a member of the US forces. Here is his entry from ABMC. He is buried at Brookwood.

William W. Wait

Private First Class, U.S. Army

US Army Air Service

Entered the Service from: New York

Died: May 9, 1918

Buried at: Plot A Row 5 Grave 18

Brookwood American Cemetery

Brookwood, England

Thanks to 'Dolphin' for a pointer in the right direction.

Would this mean that any Canadian citizen serving with US forces would be ineligible?

Yes it would - as would not an Englishman serving in the French army.

It is the nationality of the force that matters not the individual. Hence, many Poles, Czechs, Belgians etc are commemorated by CWGC because they served in a Commonwealth force. Their individual nationalities are of no relevance.

Similarly, I have found Americans serving with the Canadian Forces who are listed on CWGC

• 3 weeks later...

Further information on David Pinsent:

DAVID HUME PINSENT, BA, son of Hume C Pinsent, was killed while flying as an Observer..

Thanks for the info on David Pinsent, Andrew.

I take it that, even though Pinsent died in what was presumably a war-related activity (I say this because otherwise Lieut. Lutyens would not have been involved), the Royal Aircraft Establishment was not one of the "Recognised Civilian Organisations" for which special commemoration eligibility rules applied? Are these organisations listed anywhere?

regards,

Martin

If it hasn't already been spotted Pinsent's younger brother, according to SDGW, was KIA in 1915

Name: PINSENT, RICHARD PARKER

Initials: R P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/10/1915

Additional information: Son of Hume C. and Ellen F. Pinsent, of 8, Chelsea Court, Chelsea, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 3.

Cemetery: LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE

(the 1901 census also gives a younger sister, Hester Agnes, born late 1899)

NigelS

Martin

RAE is not one of the recognised civilian organisations; best to PM Terry Denham who can give you list

Chris

Martin

RAE is not one of the recognised civilian organisations; best to PM Terry Denham who can give you list

Chris

RAE was formerly the RAF - Royal Aircraft Factory

Martin

Chris

Thanks Chris.