Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon Identification (pre 1914)

Flamstead

I am attaching a copy of a photograph that has been very kindly shared with me by it's owner. It shows the owner's Great Grandfather in his uniform as a Serjeant in the 10th Hussars. The photograph must have been taken prior to October 1914 as he was killed in that month in France.

I wondered if anyone might be able to tell me anything about the medal ribbons he is wearing - what they might be. I have already been able to establish what medals he was awarded for his (tragically short) service in WW1 and wondered what his awards before that might have been.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

post-72745-0-89164600-1319460657.jpg

that really is a curve-ball!

Taking the one nearest buttons:

wide pale narrow dark narrow pale narrow dark wide pale.

Ortho film almost universally used pre-1920 made whites and greys whites; pale blues and pale greens very pale, red and orange and yellow and black = black.

This is an over-simplification but not far out.

My "Ribbons and Medals" only comes up with KGV coronation/ Delhi Durbar 1911.

As for the other!

What a superb photograph of a pre war cavalry NCO - can't help on the medal ribbons I'm afraid.

Well, the first one is definitely a 1911 Coronation Medal. The second is puzzling as the the only pattern that fits is the 1878-80 Afghanistan Medal. Unlikely he had unbroken service, as this would have been 30-odd years' service!. It's not a Queen's South Africa or King's South Africa - and before anyone suggests - they didn't serve in India pre-WW1 to earn the Indian General Service 1908. Picture is between 1911-14 as the Coronation Medal is first.

Staffsyeoman, Squirrel and Grumpy,

Many thanks for sharing those thoughts with me.

I should also apologise for the fact that I accidentally put this on the War Diaries Forum and not the Uniforms / Medals one. This is my first posting for a little while and I forgot to change the Forum - dooohhh !

I have written to the moderators to ask them to move it.

I have been able to get some biographical information on the man in the photgraph and know that he was born in 1877 and he is to be found in Lucknow, India during the 1911 Census. This would suggest that he probably enlisted in the mid 1890's and could well have been at the Delhi Durbar in 1911.

Flamstead, if you drop me a PM with more details, I'll have a look in the regimental archive next time I'm in (3rd November, actually). I do a bit of work in the King's Royal Hussars museum, Horsepower, in Winchester, so you never know.

SB

Photograph may be 1902 or earlier as shoulder chains should have been removed under AO38/1902 but that did not mean that everybody did so.

Definitely Coronation 1911 rather than Delhi Durbar 1911 :thumbsup:

The second could be China 1900(on attachment)? seems to be the only possibility looking at the age of your man--unless it is Sudan 1910(on attachment)?

Post his name & I can check the roll and eliminate the Dehli Durbar Medal or not.

Peter

SB, Squirrel, Old Owl and Punjab612,

Many thanks for sharing those thoughts and offers of help - they are much appreciated.

The man in the photograph is Serjeant Frederick David Curl (Service No. 4364) who arrived in France, with the 10th Hussars, on the 6th October 1914 and died of wounds, less than four weeks later, on the 31st October.

He should not be confused with his brother, Private Harry Curl (Service No. 2566), who served in the same Regiment at the same time but seems to have survived the war and ended up in the 14th Hussars by 1918.

Simon

Medal ribbons are for the Delhi Durbar 1911 & Queen's South Africa Medal and, having checked, he is listed on the Rolls for both medals.

Delhi Durbar 1911 he's listed as 4364 Sgt. F Curl 10th (P.W.O. Royal) Hussars.

QSA he's listed as 4364 L/Cpl. F. D. Curl 10th Royal Hussars. QSA with 5 clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902).

Regards

Steve