Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoreham Camp

brian drury

After an enjoyable project researching and recording what I can regarding the 1914 camp that once occupied the land where I now live I have run out of ideas on what to do with the result.

I have created a simple private web site that can be seen here which gives some idea of the material that I have accumulated and a local website owner has promised to include a few pages of this material although that is taking a very long time.

Additionally, I have submitted information on the site to the channel 4 Time Team and they have at least confirmed that I am under consideration although success in getting a programme on the site sounds unlikely.

It would be a shame for the project to end but I don't know who might be interested in pursuing the subject further. Maybe someone here will have an idea?

Ever hopeful

Brian

• 5 months later...

Can’t believe it’s taken me so long to find your post and web site. My wife’s grandfather was a sergeant in RGA and was posted to Shoreham for a while in 1915. We think he was an instructor at a time they were overwhelmed with recruits. I found quite a lot of info on local web sites but not a detailed map. Ironically one of his grandsons has moved back from Australia and now lives in Lancing.

Great job thanks!

• 6 months later...

I have been asked by West Sussex County Council if I will provide material as a case study of the Shoreham camp for a commemorative website they are working on for launch in 2014. Obviously the material in my simple website is a good starting point but if anyone has anything that could be added I would be very pleased for any help that can be provided. Obviously all sources of material used will be acknowledged when the site is released.

Brian

• 3 months later...

Looks good, Brian. I like the way you've merged the layout of the camp with the modern street system. Well done.

Moonraker

• 1 year later...

Looks good, Brian. I like the way you've merged the layout of the camp with the modern street system. Well done.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker.

The camp pages have now moved to a new home and will be cared for in future by The Friends of Shoreham Fort. The domain name remains the same.