Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking For Great Grandfather's Medals

rockingmorgan

I'm looking for my great grandfather's medals. Appears they were sold on Ebay around September 2006. His information is:

Name: Private William Chalmers

Killed in action October 25, 1916 in France

Was initially assigned to the 84th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force

Transferred to the 75th Battalion when he went to France

Central Ontario Regiment

He had the Victory Medal, the British War Medal, and his death plaque was among the items sold, Also sold were what appears to be a dog tag, a badge for the 84th battalion, and a round silver looking medal I cannot make out. Also sold were his death certificate, a photo of him, a card that says "Pkt 989", a newspaper clipping reporting his death, and the scroll from the King with his name on the bottom.

Pictures of his things are posted on the virtual war memorial on the Canadian Veterans website. If it hadn't been for an individual donating these pictures, we never would have known about the medals. Thanks, Bob, for the advice. I will certainly follow through with that.

Good luck - sounds like a very desirable set of medals and documents and being Canadian as well will also mean an expensive set. But genuine collectors can be very helpfull

Bob

If they were sold on ebay (albeit a few years ago) could you not check to see if that member who sold or the one who bought is still a member and

try and contact that way.

Good luck on the return of these items.

Simon.

Simon,

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted Ebay and they cannot divulge any info as I was not a party to the transaction. The only way they could give me the info is if some sort of legal info was presented to Ebay, eg. medals were stolen and a police report obtained, a court order, etc. So back to the drawing board at this point.

Thats a shame.

Even though I understand the legal side of things it would have been nice if they could have forwarded a message on your behalf.

They still would not have divulged any info and left it too seller/buyer to contact you.

Good luck,

Simon.

I found out the medals were sold on Ebay Canada--I didn't know that existed. I called Ebay Canada tonight and suggested Simon's idea that they contact the buyer on my behalf without giving me the contact info. Same thing; privacy issues so no can do. So onward I trudge on my mission.....

Try e-mailing all the Canadian medal and militaria dealers. They are a pretty good bunch and if they have some idea where they are I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

I know where my Grandad's are....with a cousin with a different last name...still trying!

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks for the suggestion to post on the CEF Study Group....have already done so and joined the group. I continue the hunt for the medals and other effects.....

Laurie