Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC cap and?

Diddym

Hi Another cap badge or 2?

the picture shows my grandfather David Young at the back. he was in the RAMC Pte 1938. however looking at the cap badges - the front gent (name unknown) has i think the RAMC badge but it is not the same as my gdpa. so what is his badge?

any takers?

Diddy

post-41526-0-29484900-1319106973.jpg

bit of extra info - he was brought up in Dunfermline (born Bilbao 1892 but British). aunt thinks may have been Kings own scottish borderers but doesn't look like that.

Diddy

I reckon it is a RAMC cap badge but the photographer's flash reflection on the badge and chinstrap has distorted it. The man at the front has some distortion from the reflection of the flash on his chinstrap as well.

The overseas chevrons on the sleeve of the chap at the front would indicate the photograph being taken in late 1918 or later.

I don't normally have any useful suggestions in these questions but isn't his badge a bomb? A fusilier, perhaps? The other possibilities are artillery or RE I believe.

I go with Squirrel this is an RAMC badge and its a photographic glitch that has distorted it. Its certainly not a Sapper(RE) or Gunner(RA) capbadge.

Rob

Hi Diddy

Or it could be Loyal North Lancshire Regt, or the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Gerwyn

Hi Diddy

Or it could be Loyal North Lancshire Regt, or the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Gerwyn

Only RAMC were authorised to wear the arm badge of the red cross order, although it was sometimes illegally worn as a badge of appointment by infantry battalion hospital sergeants who worked directly for the RMO.

Only RAMC were authorised to wear the arm badge of the red cross order, although it was sometimes illegally worn as a badge of appointment by infantry battalion hospital sergeants who worked directly for the RMO.

Hi FROGSMILE

It still looks to me, not to be, a RAMC cap badge B) .

Gerwyn

Hi FROGSMILE

It still looks to me, not to be, a RAMC cap badge B) .

Gerwyn

A scan focusing on his cap will probably settle it. I think it is currently distorted by the angle/lighting of the photograph. One has also to look beyond the cap insignia to who he is with, his dress, arm band and so forth rather than obsessing on just the cap badge when the latter is not clear.

A scan focusing on his cap will probably settle it. I think it is currently distorted by the angle/lighting of the photograph. One has also to look beyond the cap insignia to who he is with, his dress, arm band and so forth rather than obsessing on just the cap badge when the latter is not clear.

Hi FROGSMILE. If you look again at the post, you will see its "Hi Another cap badge or 2?", not uniform, I answered the post, to this. Gerwyn

RAMC3.jpg

Thanks Chris, unfortunately it is still too highly pixelated and distorted to be 'clear' what the cap badge is. You can only really go by the rest of the uniform. One good indicator is the shoulder titles which you can see are large letters as per the other man with who he is posing. Only the RA, RE, AOC, ASC, MFP/MMP and RAMC had these large lettered titles, the infantry's were much smaller. These together with the arm band, slung medical pack and circumstances of the photo 'suggest' two RAMC men posing together.

post-599-0-63817900-1319479668.jpg

Hi FROGSMILE.

You must have eyes like a s##t house rat :rolleyes: , if you can tell the size of the brass shoulder titles, by looking at the photo, I bow down to you.

Gerwyn

Hi FROGSMILE.

You must have eyes like a s##t house rat :rolleyes: , if you can tell the size of the brass shoulder titles, by looking at the photo, I bow down to you.

Gerwyn

You can tell from the height of the letters in proportion to the dimensions of the shoulder straps. I have also been doing this for a long time. Furthermore take a metaphoric step back and look at the overall scene, the dress of the two men, matching arm bands and medical haversacks....it all, in the round, helps to make an informed assessment when the badge is not 100% clear. It's not possible to always get it right but with practice you are right more often than you are wrong just like with anything else.

Hi FROGSMILE. It still cannot be proven out right, that the cap badge is a RAMC, which was the question, I also have two brass RAMC titles, and they are different sizes, Gerwyn

Hi FROGSMILE. It still cannot be proven out right, that the cap badge is a RAMC, which was the question, I also have two brass RAMC titles, and they are different sizes, Gerwyn

Yes I agree it cannot be proven outright that the badge is RAMC, but personally I am content that he is. You of course have a right to your own opinion. In WW1 the RAMC title was of one size (along with the other Corps mentioned), but later on they adopted a smaller title that was used in the inter-war period and after, especially in tropical dress. The smaller pattern was also made in anodised aluminium from the late 1950s on.