Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infantry Backpack Question

honorfilms

Hello one and all,

Quick question.... When soldiers went into battle in Oct, Nov and Dec of 1914 (out of trenches and across no man's land) to attack the enemy, did they continue to carry their 50 lb backpacks or swap them out for smaller ones? Or (as in the video on YouTube shows) they go into battle with no backpacks at all?

YouTube link

Backpacks as they walk through trenches (time 2:50) and over the top into battle with nothing on their backs at time 3:26

Some footage I see smaller backpacks, other times no backpacks.

Thanks.

Julian

I would suggest it depends on the situation.

On a full scale offensive (as per Somme 1916?) they may have carried full load (clearly the youtube footage of the soldiers you indicate is late or post 1915 as they wear Brodie Helmets not in use in 1914 Someone might recognize the footage - I suspect it is from the Somme or later)

In a local action, or counterattack with limited objectives they may have carried a small-pack (possibly slung low rather than on their back)

In a "demonstration" or raid they would likely have carried no pack at all.

I believe the large pack was usually kept in/with battalion transport and not taken into the lines.

I don't know enough about the early British offensive actions in the war to say for sure but my suspicion is they would not have carried the large packs, which I believe were reserved usually for "marching order"

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Thank you Chris

I think you may be right. I would imagine that they would use the full backpack when marching from Poperinge to the front lines in Nov 1914, then not need a full pack when attacking. I see conflicting footage, but I would have thought that they would need something in order to carry first aid kits ad some supplies other than belts with ammo pouches etc.

I've written a novel where detail like this is important

Julian

I would suggest it depends on the situation.

On a full scale offensive (as per Somme 1916?) they may have carried full load (clearly the youtube footage of the soldiers you indicate is late or post 1915 as they wear Brodie Helmets not in use in 1914 Someone might recognize the footage - I suspect it is from the Somme or later)

In a local action, or counterattack with limited objectives they may have carried a small-pack (possibly slung low rather than on their back)

In a "demonstration" or raid they would likely have carried no pack at all.

I believe the large pack was usually kept in/with battalion transport and not taken into the lines.

I don't know enough about the early British offensive actions in the war to say for sure but my suspicion is they would not have carried the large packs, which I believe were reserved usually for "marching order"

Chris

If you mean the footage at 3min 25 secs, then that is generaly thought to be period reconstruction and not actuality footage.

G

It looked like it, as the man who was 'shot' was not a very good actor....!

They'd go into battle with some kind of backpack, even pouches, but these guys had nothing.

JM

If you mean the footage at 3min 25 secs, then that is generaly thought to be period reconstruction and not actuality footage.

G

Large packs (often then referred to erroneously as a 'Valise' from habit connected with the pre web equipment) were not carried other than in 'Marching Order' and were left in Battalion Transport Lines when in action. For offensive action the small pack was generally carried in lieu and referred to as 'Fighting Order'. Once small packs, entrenching tools and haversacks were removed, the remaining equipment was known as 'Musketry Order'.