Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer's Uniform?

kildaremark

I am attempting to ascertain the unit of this man.

I have reason to believe he a junior officer?

Can anyone advise me on the collar badges. Sadly, no cap or belt visible and very poor quality. Anything that would indicate war or post-war.

post-6633-0-03809400-1319041561.jpg

Thanks

Mark

Rather looks like he is wearing Blue patrols, now as to regiment I would suggest he is a Fusilier possibly a member of one of the London branches!

Rob

Mark,

I think that he is more likely to be an NCO rather than a commissioned officer. The photo has the look of post WW1? but it is difficult to say. His collars suggest Royal Fusiliers or other fusilier regiment or more likely R.E. or R.A.

I am sure that someone will be along soon with some other suggestions.

Robert

I'm hoping Royal Artillery.......!

I should have included what appears to be a cap but very poor quality.

post-6633-0-10941900-1319046893.jpg

Mark

Officers' No. 1 dress, RA was similar in the 1950s but patrols worn by older officers did not sport the collar badges if my memory serves.

Is that top button possibly a ball, in which case it should be RHA.

D

Mark,

Hi, sorry to jump in this posting but i tried to PM you and it says you can't accept messages [box full?].

Wanted to ask question about an Irish RGA man who seved at Lenan Fort Donegal. Was there in 1901 Census, served in 1st war with same number and is on Londonderry Absent Voters list with unusual initials in fron of the letters RGA.

Herbert James Edwards, 34009, Gnr. with the initials S.A.S.A in front of the RGA.

Could he have been with the 15th Company, have seen others at Lenan Fort in 1916 giving this unit.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm hoping Royal Artillery.......!

I should have included what appears to be a cap but very poor quality.

post-6633-0-10941900-1319046893.jpg

Mark

The scalloped lower pocket flaps and cuff buttons together with his apparent age indicate a Junior officer. What appears to be a ball button near his collar, plus the latter's grenade / bullion bomb would imply Royal Horse Artillery.

Thanks gents.

If I have the correct man, he served with the Royal Field Artillery as a Captain during the war and Lieutenant/Adjutant post war.

Thanks

Mark

Rob: PM sent

Kevin,

It seems to read SASA, what do the other abbreviations mean?

Mark let me know he was in the 40th Seige Battery, thanks.

Did a google and found George Mallory of Everest fame was an Officer in this unit for a time.

Rob