Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Painted Stahlhelm? - Some Better Photos Added

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Have had this one in the collection for a long time, but it's always been a bit of a mystery. I've seen one other like it and heard of another through correspondence, but never read or uncovered any 'official' information on them.

It is a standard M16 Stahlhelm with the M17 liner and band. In nice condition, with the inside still painted the original green color. On the outside it has been painted with a flat black. Definitely 'of the period' (not a bubba paint job) and showing spots where it has worn or been washed off through use.

Has anyone ever run across any reference to this style or know of any information about it? Will be glad to post some pics if it would help.

Thanks!

- Mike

Without pictures, difficult to say, but I've seen black WWI helmets used by the Austrian police prior to WWII. If the brown leather chinstrap has a buckle and the liner fingers have metal grommets for the tie string, that may be what you have. Yours is "rare" since it doesn't have fake SS decals added to it. Most do.

Dave

Thanks Gentlemen -

No chinstrap, the liner does not have metal grommets and has pulled through in the usual place. Will post some pics a bit later today and place it next to a 'standard' issue helmet for comparison.

Best regards

- Mike

helm3.JPGhelm2.JPGSome pics..., not the greatest of photos, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. Did notice with the two together that the liner in the blackened helmet is much thinner leather. Incidentally, it retains all three of the pillow pads.

Thanks for looking!

- Mikehelm1.JPG

You know, i don't doubt you but from the pictures it looks like the paint has been lost and what you are taking for paint is a fine thin layer of darkened inactive corrosion, i.e. a patina of rust. With out seeing it in person it's hard to say.

You know, i don't doubt you but from the pictures it looks like the paint has been lost and what you are taking for paint is a fine thin layer of darkened inactive corrosion, i.e. a patina of rust. With out seeing it in person it's hard to say.

Hey Scott -

Not a problem. I agree with you that those photos don't help much. My five year old digital just doesn't cut it anymore. There is a definite 'ripple' to the flat black that isn't showing up as well as the green showing through in several spots. Also, the pics don't show the smooth green on the inside at all. It is a bit different from the green on the mate, but then all of the stahlhelms in the collection vary from slightly to very different. Will try again tomorrow... maybe the light will be better. Not much sun in these parts this time of year.

Thanks for the reply!

- Mike

Here are a couple that are a bit better...

helm1a.JPG

helm2a.JPG

helm3a.JPG

Nice 'de-commissioning' puncture holes! Guess the guy's making those holes had no idea of what value a hole-less helmet would later be!!!:rolleyes: And as the holes are there then unlikely to be a 'black WWI helmets used by the Austrian police prior to WWII'.

Trajan

I have a WW2 German Firemans Helmet, not a M17, (it isn't the more common WW2 types either) but I was wondering what were the between the wars fire brigades wearing. Mine is plain with no sign of a badge.

G

Nice 'de-commissioning' puncture holes! Guess the guy's making those holes had no idea of what value a hole-less helmet would later be!!!:rolleyes: And as the holes are there then unlikely to be a 'black WWI helmets used by the Austrian police prior to WWII'.

Trajan

[/quote

Hi Trajan-

Yes, that de-com helmet is most interesting, but probably not as much so as the regular ones. The black painted helmet is the one on the right, just used the de-com for comparison of the colors. Also, in the photo of the inside you can now see the original green paint on the inside.

Best regards!

- Mike

Whoops, need new glasses!:thumbsup:

Best,

Trajan

yes, certainly painted black - but for what reason and by whom might be hard to ascertain. Given that these were in official use for a few years only and for the last 90 years have been everything from doorstops to costume props to paramilitary items and collectibles - I think all you can do is speculate as to the reasons why. Nice eample though!

Nice 'de-commissioning' puncture holes!

Trajan

Or, as per descriptions on A Certain Auction Site... L@@K Bullet Holes... This helmet has seen some action.. etc etc..".

Dave

Or, as per descriptions on A Certain Auction Site... L@@K Bullet Holes... This helmet has seen some action.. etc etc..".Dave

:thumbsup: Although in this case probably the rare (?unique??) example of the helmet of a German soldier who had previoulsy studied in a public school in England and where he regularly played second row in a rugby scrum...:rolleyes:

Trajan

Or, now that I think about it..., this helmet was probably damaged in a daring trench raid during which the raiders carried a pickaxe and nailed the poor Bosch in the head FOUR TIMES!! :thumbsup:

:lol: Stop it, stop it! This is meant to be a serious discussion!:)

Trajan