Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Awarded

alantyl

My wifes uncle Lance Corporal Joseph H. Jackson 200235 was awarded the Military Medal 0n the 11-11-1916. He was with the 1st/4th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. How would I find out why/where he was awarded the medal. I,ve been in touch with the Regimental museum in Lancaster, although very helpful were unable to assist me in my request.

Beware, Al Sax. 200235 was not his number at the time: it was given to him in a renumbering scheme in 1917. If the 11 November 1916 is the date on which his MM was announced in the London Gazette, the act for which it was given would have been around three months earlier.

My wifes uncle Lance Corporal Joseph H. Jackson 200235 was awarded the Military Medal 0n the 11-11-1916.

The Service number you quote for him is correct but is from 1917 when Territorial soldiers were renumbered, this explains it http://www.1914-1918...ng_infantry.htm

His MM was actually awarded under his pre renumbering Service number 1973 Pte J. H. Jackson R. Lanc. R. the date you quote is the date the awarding of the Medal was printed in the London Gazette, this is an image of it if you don't have it http://www.london-ga...pplements/10925 the action he'd have won it for would have happened around 4 months earlier as a rule of thumb.

Your best bet is to go to the reference library to where his family was living during WW1 and check the local newspapers from the 11/11/1916 date, they normally ran "Local boy done good" stories, the London Gazette does not give details of MM winning actions.

Sam

Give us a pm Alan think I can help you a little bit.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, having trouble with the pm, if you could e-mail me at alaan@tiscali.co.uk I,d be grateful for anything you might have on Uncle Joe. Regards Alan

Thanks Anthony, having trouble with the pm, if you could e-mail me at alaan@tiscali.co.uk I,d be grateful for anything you might have on Uncle Joe. Regards Alan

Will do. I realised you needed to make some more posts before you can use the pm system :angry:

Anthony