Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

did they send a bill

andy 1

just been reading a book on the lincolnshire regiment and the author states that after the war the government asked the next of kin if they wanted extra words on the headstone of the deceased,then after they had done it they sent the nok the bill. is this right.

andy

The letters of the Personal Inscription were initially charged at threepence halfpenny (3 1/2d old money or 1.45p new money) per letter by IWGC (max charge £1)

The Canadian government paid this on behalf of the n-o-k and the NZ government forbade any inscriptions on the grounds of equality - some people could not afford them.

This charge is the reason so many WW1 headstones do not have an inscription.

If payment was not forthcoming, the debt was not pursued and fairly soon the charge became voluntary - as it was in WW2.

thanks for the reply terry

any news on the possible scanning error at the cwgc site re my email to you yesterday.

andy

It's in the pipeline.

You soon learn that these things take time!

However, I doubt a scanning error as the same info is given in the original 1922 CWGC register.

sorry terry,didn't mean to push you.i thought it wouldn't be a scanning error because last night i looked up a couple of letters sent to me in 1990 from the mod and the cwgc and they told me the same.

thanks

andy 1

No problem, Andy.

Although certainly not a scanning error, there are several other types of clerical error which could be responsible.

i will leave it with you then terry and wait to hear from you via email.as i told you yesterday i have sent to the pro for a copy of his death certificate.i assume it will take 7-10 days to receive it.

when i get it i will let you know what it says.

andy

Guest dinkidi

G'day

What I considered to be the pits in penny-pinching was the charging 2/6 for a copy of that portion of the Menin Gate Register which contained the name of the widow's husband.

ooRoo

Pat

Hi

I have enclosed a letter sent to Mrs. M.B. Mattinson regarding the inscription she choose for her son's (Pte. L.E. mattinson of the 25th Battalion C.E.F.) stone. Since the work was done I can assume from the letter she was charged $2.25 I beleive I have a letter in one of the pile saying that they received the money. I have most of the exchange of letters form 1917 to 1927 regarding his burial.

best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-19-1090374530.jpg