Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with badge and uniform please

bongo

Well, as a starter for 10, I'd have guessed a couple of Officer Cadets, but goodness knows what the belt arrangement is - some old (Slade Wallace?) kit?

Hi there,

I have tried to make it bigger,but my sister has just sent it via facebook, so it distorts, think the badge on the hat is a star of some kind. Hang on though and i will have a try.

Hi there,

I have tried to make it bigger,but my sister has just sent it via facebook, so it distorts, think the badge on the hat is a star of some kind. Hang on though and i will have a try.

Alright, Thank you :)

Nizzeh

I have tried to put it in photo view. Hope this helps, if not, i have tried other ways, but to no avail.

I meant like taking the picture closer?

Hi

I also go with the Slade Wallace Equipment, but this would date them pre WW1, their rifles look SMLE, they could be Volunteers/Territorials, wearing the old gear.

I'll have a stab, and stick my neck out, and say Scottish :ph34r: , go on then Scots Guards :w00t: .

Gerwyn

I went for the Scots, because of what I thought was diceing around their service dress caps, looking at the new photo, their boots look well polished. Gerwyn

The inference being, then, that Scots Guards don't polish their boots :lol:

Seeing the close-up, I'd go for Coldstream - are they wearing a dress cap of some sort, and some S-W equipment? On a drill session prior to a big parade? It still seems to be the Guards way to "train" for a parade in day-to-day kit with the regimental head-dress.

Hi

I also say, they are two Brothers having their BEST photo taken to send home to their Mam.

"did any of the Guards Regt's, polish their boots, I always thought someone else did it for them".:ph34r::w00t::whistle:

Gerwyn

The inference being, then, that Scots Guards don't polish their boots :lol:

Seeing the close-up, I'd go for Coldstream - are they wearing a dress cap of some sort, and some S-W equipment? On a drill session prior to a big parade? It still seems to be the Guards way to "train" for a parade in day-to-day kit with the regimental head-dress.

Yes I agree Steven, they are definitely Coldstream Guards in the new forage caps issued in 1905 to replace the Brodrick. They are also wearing elements of Guard Order from their 1888 Patt Slade Wallace buff leather equipment for which only the Foot Guards had regimental lockets (buckles) after 1870.

post-599-0-47943300-1318887055.jpg

Cap and a Foot Guards buckle.

post-599-0-58704700-1318887271.jpg

post-599-0-00155800-1318887662.jpg

Fantastic help folks. That puts me just where i need to be. Think now i know the regiment, that it is around 1925. My Grandfather was in the Coldstream Guards at that time in London. He isn't in the picture though. But i had quite a few relatives in various regiments and various wars, so narrowing it down, is great.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Fantastic help folks. That puts me just where i need to be. Think now i know the regiment, that it is around 1925. My Grandfather was in the Coldstream Guards at that time in London. He isn't in the picture though. But i had quite a few relatives in various regiments and various wars, so narrowing it down, is great.

Thank you :thumbsup:

It is quite likely that the photograph was taken at Caterham, I remember seeing there huts of the kind in the background, although they had them at other places as well.

1. Images for coldstream guards ww1 cap photos

<BR itxtNodeId="112">These photos show the SD cap issued to Pte. H Bome, 24198, 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards. It was made in 1915 and shows the classic all black lacquered lining of most post 1912 caps. Note the underside of the peak and its green waxed fiberboard. This cap is marked to Bome on the reverse side of the sweatband in 1/2 inch black ink letters. It's marked 24198 CG. This cap also has the small meta l plat in it that runs from the crown to the peak that force s the crown up.

It is quite likely that the photograph was taken at Caterham, I remember seeing there huts of the kind in the background, although they had them at other places as well.

Yeh it could well be. thanks