Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Rifle bayonet

derekb

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have just returned home from a fairly local antiques fair with this Ross Rifle bayonet.

It is marked as a MK II with the issue date of 10/15, the end of the pommel is marked; T

I4057

It is in good condition apart from some small areas of rust, which I will rub with WD40 unless there are any better suggestions.

Any help with information or advice together with a suggestion of a value for insurance purposes would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

post-18694-0-01172300-1318765087.jpg

Your Ross bayonet is in extremely good condition, and together with the leather scabbard appear to have been looked after very well over the years.

After the problems found with the Ross rifle during the GW, production was terminated, and many of the bayonets simply remained in stores in Canada.

I would guess that this example would have been part of a consignment that was shipped to the UK during WW2, and issued for use by the Home Guard.

Can you describe what the stampings on the leather scabbard look like.? Some of these were replacements made during WW2 and this will affect the value.

As for the cleaning (if any is needed.!) normally gun-oil or light machine oil would be preferred over the use of WD-40, but just depends what you have available.

Cheers, S>S

Shipping Steel

Thank you for your reply,

The scabbard is marked;

Rear of belt loop = "II"

Front of belt loop = A circle surrounding a broad arrow over "5", there maybe other marks here, the bayonet has marked the leater a little.

Bottom rear "MK II"

A circle surrounding a broad arrow

"R R C" over 1916

Thanks and regards,

Derek.

So you have an original matching Mk.II scabbard that was made by the Ross Rifle Company in 1916, and one that is in very good condition.!

Overall you have a very attractive set, in what I would class as close to mint condition, but on the other hand its unlikely to have seen much service.

For a value, it always depends on where you are and how you are selling, but I would think a conservative estimate should see it rest easily at 150GBP.

Cheers, S>S