Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID please

phillomax

post-53173-0-90096200-1318746116.jpgHello, can anyone help identify my grandfather's uniform?

He was born in 1902 but apparently lied about his age to join up, it would have been quite late on though.

I have looked at images on the internet and think his uniform might be the 3rd (Kings Own) Hussars but I open to suggestions.

Regards

Philpost-53173-0-28087600-1318745895.jpg

And the second is post-GW, I'd say (from the use of collar dogs on an o.r.). Given that transfers between cavalry units were common, and especially so following the reductions in 1922 when the 14th were amalgamated with the 20th to form the 14th/20th King's Hussars, it may well be likely that the second photo is the same bloke, post-war, in a different regiment.

He seems not to be wearing any medal ribbons, though, which is odd if he'd served in the GW.

I agree that the 14th Hussars does look likely, but the 4th Hussars and even the Northumberland Hussars (Yeomanry) are also possibilities.

In the second photo all three men are 3rd Hussars and wearing 5-button frocks with scalloped and pleated chest pockets, as opposed to the service dress in the first photo.

post-599-0-42895800-1318889032.jpg

And NH.

post-599-0-72247100-1318889254.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thank you all for your information.

My grandfather's name is Edward Wilks, he was born in 1902 in Cheltenham, Glos.

The photographs are definitely the same man (2nd photo RH).

Rgds Phil

Hello, I have some more information but I don't how accurate it is or when it happened. We were always told that he lied about his age to enlist in WW1 and lied again to enlist in WW2.

My grandfather apparently talked about going to Poland on his way to Russia in support of the White Russians - I don't know if this is correct... He talked about spending time in India.

He left the UK for Australia in 1929 and his address is the Govt. Inst. Centre, Brandon, he may well have been here for re-training after leaving the army.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Phil

Hello, I have some more information but I don't how accurate it is or when it happened. We were always told that he lied about his age to enlist in WW1 and lied again to enlist in WW2.

My grandfather apparently talked about going to Poland on his way to Russia in support of the White Russians - I don't know if this is correct... He talked about spending time in India.

He left the UK for Australia in 1929 and his address is the Govt. Inst. Centre, Brandon, he may well have been here for re-training after leaving the army.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Phil

NORTH RUSSIA 1919 (erratum - 1918) Late in 1919 (erratum - 1918) Britain sent troops to Murmansk and Archangel in northern Russia. They were part of an international force designed to protect Allied interests there during the Russian Civil War, and to offer assistance to those Russian forces fighting the Bolsheviks in that conflict. The force contained no cavalry.

SOUTH RUSSIA & BLACK SEA 1919

Following the armistice with the Ottoman empire, Britain sent troops from Macedonia to secure Constantinople and the Straits. In addition, troops were sent eastwards to Turkish ports on the Black Sea and into Caucasus region of Russia to influence the outcome of the struggle against the Bolsheviks. Units of the Indian Army provided part of the garrison in Turkey. The force contained the following cavalry units (none of which were from the Regular Army):

1. A & D Sqns, Lothians & border Horse

2. Surrey Yeomanry

SIBERIA 1919

Britain sent a small force of two infantry battalions to Siberia, via Vladivostok, to influence events in Siberia. This force was to maintain a British ‘presence’ in an area which had attracted Japanese and American forces as well.

Typo: we actually sent troops to North Russia in late 1918 - they were gone by the autumn of 1919.

I still stick to 14th Hussars on the first pic, as I don't detect the Crown which would make it the 4th or the Northumberland Hussars. Just my two-penneth, that's all.

Typo: we actually sent troops to North Russia in late 1918 - they were gone by the autumn of 1919.

I still stick to 14th Hussars on the first pic, as I don't detect the Crown which would make it the 4th or the Northumberland Hussars. Just my two-penneth, that's all.

Yes, I think you are probably right.

Hello, just a thought but he might have served with the ASC (horse transport division) in Russia?

Hello, just a thought but he might have served with the ASC (horse transport division) in Russia?

Anything is possible. The Army was short of men for the Russian expedition and sought 'volunteers' who were offered significantly enhanced pay for the duration as an inducement to go on this unpopular mission. None of the photos you posted show ASC insignia and there is the issue of how he got permission from his regiment to go.