Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Daniel T Collard - Royal Army Med. Corps

Swni

Corporal Dan Collard was my great uncle and was in the Royal Army Medical Corps. . He was from Ebbw Vale in South Wales. I am not sure where to begin .... I would like to know how and where he died and in what battle. Can anyone put me on the right road please?

The only details I have are:

Service number - 88498

Date of death - He was killed on July 26th 1917 at the age of 27

The fact that his name is on the Menin Gate

Burial site: He is buried at the Railway Dugouts Burial Ground, Zillebeke, Ieper, West Vlaanderen, Belgium.

Sue :unsure:

post-1-1090320916.jpg

26 July 1917 was five days before the opening of the Third Battle of Ypres, which is perhaps best known as "Passchendaele". The British bombardment that was to prepare for the infantry attack had begun, and there was a great deal of enemy shellfire too. Units in the forward trenches were making a number of raids and patrols, to test the enemy's defences.

Railway Dugouts cemetery can be seen on this page, which is part of my photo-tour of Ypres on the Long, Long Trail website.

Thanks Chris for the swift response. This is the first time I have researched military stuff and its quite baffling to me with all the units, divisions, etc etc. I have two of my family members from WW1 and one of my husbands from WW2 to research and this is by far the best site I have found so far for my side of things. I cant get over how quickly I am getting responses.

Thanks once again.

Sue :D

Hi Sue

Ive seen some fantastic results that some get when theyre looking for details on where and when, but I have learned 'dont expect ....' :D

Sorry if youve done all this, but can I 'suggest' (as a relatively new researcher myself) getting his MIC's and any service papers, establish date and action he was KIA in, and check the units War Diaries for mention of his name (as a Corporal, the chances of a mention are 'higher' than other ranks)?

Have you checked CWGC site for a mention?

Other than that, books! Any books that specifically relate to the units history can help, may even mention the action he died in?

Sorry cant help specifically, but good luck anyway!

Steve

Thanks Steve

Oh dear...this is how new I am Steve - I know I should know but what does MIC stand for please and where do I get that and the service papers? I know the KIA date, place of burial and his service number ....which is handy...and have just found out on here that he was killed 5 days before the 3rd battle of Ypres. I am still trying to find out what unit he was in....am not clued up on how to go about this yet as I am new to it all but I am learning fast!! Also (sorry again) but what /where is the CWGC site?

I notice on your foot note you have "...forgotten by all bar his Gt Grandson...." well this Uncle Dan I am currently researching was not married and so has no immediate family to care - it is only myself and my cousin who have really done any research into it. I really feel the need to find out as much as possible about him to leave some written memory in the family tree so that he is not forgotten. After all - he made the ultimate sacrifice and did so retrieving wounded soldiers from no man's land!

Thanks for your message

Sue :)

Sue

Right at the top of this page it says:

BE SURE TO READ THIS: if you are about to ask questions about how to find a soldier's service record, make sure you have first visited "Grandad's War" at The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link to it at top-left of this page. Be sure to read at least "The Basics", "Service Papers" and "Grandad's Medals".

You'll find all about MICs, service papers, the lot...

Sue

Soldiers Died In The Great War has Daniel listed as born in Ebbw Vale and Enlisted in Ebbw Vale. There is no mention of where he was resident. He died of wounds.

The only extra details on the CWGC site has him as son of William G. and Margaret Collard of "Eastville", Holland Street, Ebbw Vale, Mon. He has a special memorial H.29 in the Railway Dugouts Burial Ground.

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle

I have just been to the CWGC site and printed off the information there - I am currently going through the Long Long Trail site to see if I can find any more information on his regiment/division/unit.

Thanks again

Hello Sue

As Dan had a special memorial, did you check the cemetery details on CWGC.

"430 of the burials are unidentified and 261 casualties are represented by special memorials. Other special memorials record the names of 72 casualties buried in Valley Cottages and Transport Farm Annexe Cemeteries whose graves were destroyed in later fighting."

Andy

Thanks Andy - I will go and check that out . This really is a crash course in World history/Geography/internet surfing and WW1 not to mention family history- which of course is what started the whole procedure to start with!!

Thanks again.....

• 8 years later...
Guest SarahW

Sue Nearly 9 years after your post I have an interest in Daniel Collard. His father (William George) and my grandfather (Henry Collard) were brothers, making him my first cousin, once removed. In my teens Mother and I stayed in his former home with his sister, May. Having just returned from a brief trip to some of the Western Front battlefields, I thought I would try and locate him. The Railway Dugouts Burial Ground where he lies appears to be quite close to Ypres. I wonder if any of the family have visited the grave. I intend requesting a photo of the grave from the War Graves Photographic Project. Sarah