Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of uniformed Men, Finglesham, Kent

BevHerbert

I have been fascinated by this photo of my Great Uncle's house from the moment I saw it but know nothing about the people in it.

Can anyone help with the date please? The uniforms? Is it even WWI era at all?

Thanks for your time.

I couldn't get the file size below 100K so have put in a link to the photo on Flickr.

Finglesham, Kent

Kind Regards

Beverley

The man in the dark uniform looks like a member of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, and they only wore that particular cap, the "Broderick cap," up until 1914. The men on the right are wearing Service Dress tunics, but I have never seen ones with piped cavalry cuffs and stripes on the trousers. Perhaps they are some sort of cavalry? Their caps look like Royal Flying Corps headgear.

The man in the dark uniform looks like a member of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, and they only wore that particular cap, the "Broderick cap," up until 1914. The men on the right are wearing Service Dress tunics, but I have never seen ones with piped cavalry cuffs and stripes on the trousers. Perhaps they are some sort of cavalry? Their caps look like Royal Flying Corps headgear.

That is really interesting to me - I have a great great uncle Anthony Herbert who was in the RMLI Portsmouth Battalion. He enlisted 26/08/1902 and was promoted to paid Lance Sgt in Nov 1914, shortly before being killed at Anzac Cove May 3 1915. I have no photos of him to confirm but maybe this is him? Perhaps someone would know if this uniform fits in with this information?

Thanks

Bev

Bev

I agree with RMLI. The other guys are in Boer War era uniform. Medals look like Queens South African medals. Chaps on the right have inverted chevron, I feel not good conduct as the chevron can be seen on the left arm as well, so cuffs.

Hope that helps.

Simon

Yes I agree too that the man in scarlet frock is definitely RMLI and wearing the pattern of tunic that was changed in 1910. He is wearing the Brodrick Cap so we know it is 1902 or later and the other men look to be in one of the early (probably grey) versions of Service Dress with red seams down the trousers and red 'v' shaped lace on the cuffs. The Field Service Caps that they wear were popular as a practical form of head dress for the cyclist battalions of Volunteer infantry that became de rigeur after the end of the 2nd Boer war, which also indicates a date of 1902-1903. The black leather belts with snake buckles were a feature of the Rifle Volunteer uniforms worn by the units from which these cyclist battalions were generally drawn.

The military use of cycles had begun in the mid 1880s when some of the old Volunteer Battalions had set up Cyclist Sections whose brief was to defend our island should invaders strike - a kind of Home Guard on wheels. However, their role changed in the Boer War, when cyclists effectively carried out a number of vital tasks and by the start of the 20th century there were some 8000 cyclists in various Companies and Volunteer sections.

1883.02.01 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

1900 three companies (two cyclist) raised

1908.04.01 retitled 4th Battalion, The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

transferred to Territorial. Force. with HQ at Tonbridge, less elements separated to form 5th Battalion, and 2 cyclist coys to form nucleus of 6th (Cyclist) Battalion

post-599-0-78279700-1318532880.jpg

and the pre 1910 looped cuff scarlet tunic.

post-599-0-28886800-1318532954.jpg

I would suspect the Khaki clad lads are Rifle Volunteers, one of them is wearing a Rifles cross belt, possibly with Inkerman chain and whistle.

G

I would suspect the Khaki clad lads are Rifle Volunteers, one of them is wearing a Rifles cross belt, possibly with Inkerman chain and whistle.

G

Yes they are definitely Rifle Volunteers, or at least post 1881 Volunteers with a Rifles lineage (presumably from Kent), I am just surmising that they 'might' well be from the two cyclist companies raised in 1900.

They are in fact dressed identically to the uniform adopted by the IOW RV's cyclist sections. IF it was an IOW photo I would date it 1901 - 05.

G

All the experts above have certainly confirmed the RMLI uniform and I agree. The other chaps uniforms I have no idea but agree with the other members

as they certainly know their stuff.

Going back to Bev's hope that it may be her GGU. It still possibly could be but as the photo is pre 1910 and all the soldiers

(including the Marine) are wearing medals I'm not sure if it is.

I have checked the medals rolls for Marines earning The Queens South Africa Medal & The Africa General Service Medal but cannot find him

listed. The earliest medal I have found him in is The 1914 Star to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. Her GGU enlisted in Aug 1902 which rules out

the majority (if not all)of the QSA and the GSM I have gone through with a fine tooth coomb.

Cannot think what other medal it could be, Commerative maybe ?

Simon.

All the experts above have certainly confirmed the RMLI uniform and I agree. The other chaps uniforms I have no idea but agree with the other members

as they certainly know their stuff.

Going back to Bev's hope that it may be her GGU. It still possibly could be but as the photo is pre 1910 and all the soldiers

(including the Marine) are wearing medals I'm not sure if it is.

I have checked the medals rolls for Marines earning The Queens South Africa Medal & The Africa General Service Medal but cannot find him

listed. The earliest medal I have found him in is The 1914 Star to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. Her GGU enlisted in Aug 1902 which rules out

the majority (if not all)of the QSA and the GSM I have gone through with a fine tooth coomb.

Cannot think what other medal it could be, Commerative maybe ?

Simon.

If he enlisted in 1902 Simon he would have been hard pushed to reach the rank of full sergeant (i.e. with sash) by the time of the OP's photo.

The guys in front of the cottage appear to be wearing the light khaki uniform issued to volunteers selected for service in South Africa against the Boers. I have photos of Lincolnshire volunteers (including two great uncles) wearing this uniform (caps and all). The caption in a Boston newspaper on one specifically refers to new uniforms issued for South Africa.

If he enlisted in 1902 Simon he would have been hard pushed to reach the rank of full sergeant (i.e. with sash) by the time of the OP's photo.

Quite true, Bev mentioned enlisting in 1902 on another post so I would say it is not him.

I am not sure what to say, other than "wow"! I wouldn't even have guessed that the one uniform was scarlet let alone begin to have fathomed all the other wonderful information.

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate it - bringing history to life :)

Kind Regards

Bev