Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badge ID please

Diddym

Hi my husbands grandfather was in the MGC - we have a photo, but before that we have another photo presumably the regiment

he was in before the formation of the MGC.

the cap badge can just be seen but trawling through photos on google i can't identify it. he was born & lived in Lincs so we thought he was in lincs reg or east yorks but

it doesn't look like either.

i have looked for a medal index card but there are several for Frederick Pattinson - think the MGC one is 60178.

Help please!! thanks

Diddy

post-41526-0-85212000-1318508846.jpg

It looks like the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment capbadge.

Scott

Or one of the London regiments which wore the same badge (22nd and 24th, I think).

just found on the queens royal west surrey site that:

In 1908 the 3rd and 4th Volunteer Battalions left the regiment to become the 22nd and 24th Battalion London Regiment respectively

so both of you right i think!!

Diddy

With the Paschal Lamb, no-one is right, and no-one is wrong with a picture like this; corroborating evidence essential.

Hi my husbands grandfather was in the MGC - we have a photo, but before that we have another photo presumably the regiment

he was in before the formation of the MGC.

the cap badge can just be seen but trawling through photos on google i can't identify it. he was born & lived in Lincs so we thought he was in lincs reg or east yorks but

it doesn't look like either.

i have looked for a medal index card but there are several for Frederick Pattinson - think the MGC one is 60178.

Help please!! thanks

Diddy

I have this cap Badge and on the scoll it says "The Queens"

Hope this helps

Simon

As stated above this cap badge was worn by BOTH the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) AND the 22nd and 24th (County of London) Battalions (The Queen's). The badge worn by the men of these units was identical to the one illustrated.

As more men would have served in the Royal West Surreys, there is greater probability that our man served with them; confirmation of this will have to rest on documentary evidence.

Cheers

Peter

thank you everyone for your swift replies. i now have to work out why he would have joined a 'southern' regiment when he had lived his life in Lincs.

Diddy

thank you everyone for your swift replies. i now have to work out why he would have joined a 'southern' regiment when he had lived his life in Lincs.

My great uncle ended up in the Royal Berkshire Regiment, despite coming from Merseyside - and he lies in Tyne Cott having been killed in Action at Third Ypres. When I checked his medal index cards, he'd been transferred from the Cheshire Regiment. This could have been for many reasons; the fact that he was in the Cheshires then transferred suggests he might have been wounded and then drafted in on his return to a different battalion. In your case, when he joined up, there might have been a shortage of men in the Queens, with the Lincs battalions 'full', or he might have fancied a change, if his circumstances were not like my uncle. Dig out those documents if you can!

Peter

I have seen what i think is his medal card for the MGC:

Pattinson, Frederick. MGC 60178 Pte

but i can't find anything for the 'Queens' reg. he did survive the war, died in 1945. need to check whether the family have his medals....

if anyone can find out anything else about his military history it would be great. details:

Frederick Pattinson

born 20/4/1886 Potter Hanworth, Lincs. s/o Charles & Betsy died 1945 Welton, Lincs.

Diddy

Well it is always possible he started in the Queen's/Londons and transferred to the MGC before going overseas - hence MIC having only MGC on it.

Secondly, the photo looks as if it might be a crop of a larger picture. Is that so, because if it is, it might be worth posting the rest of the picture in case there are identifying possibilities in the picture.

here is the full photo, having had another look at it, it has written across the bottom right corner: Sidney Aspery, Whitstable. don't know who Sidney is unless he took the photo maybe but whitstable is in kent. could they have trained here??

Diddy

that didn't work -try again. sorry forgot to click attach.... now its too big.... working on it

Diddy

Resize it to (say) 50% of original size. If that works, fine. If it's too large, reduce by another 10% and so on until it fits. Works for me :thumbsup:

Sidney Aspery is, I'm afraid, the (professional) photographer who took the picture and the '159' is the catalogue number you ordered prints from. Of no use in identifying any one individual in the picture, I'm afraid.

Re Whitstable Photographer.

As this is obviously a camp and not Studio photo I thought it may be helpful to chase the Kent link.

I've had a quick glance at Brig James' 'British Regiments 1914-18' and can find no reference to the 3 raisings of the 22nd or 24 th London Battalions having been in Kent, however the Queens RWS Regt had at least 3 Battalions in Kent (3rd Res in Rochester 1/4 & 1/5 in Maidstone) at one stage or another in 1914 - 1916. Looks to me like the Queens Royal West Surreys are therefore the better option. If you do not have access to the James book an Infantry search of the 'Long Trail' website should identify any other QRWS battalions that were at one time or another in Kent.

Hope this helps

FSG

If you can find out which battalion of the Queens he was in, it would go some way to finding out which bit of the MGC he ended up in !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Diddym

Just done a fix, hope you like it.

Dai

thats what i did - but heres another go..

D

post-80436-0-66850300-1320077935.jpg