Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Guards cloth titles

john gregory

Can anyone tell me when the Welsh Guards changed the white on red cloth shoulder titles to white on black, thanks

Can anyone tell me when the Welsh Guards changed the white on red cloth shoulder titles to white on black, thanks

Hi

Not a easy one.

Upon the introduction of service dress for other ranks in 1902 ( Army Order 10 ), the practice was introduced ( Appendix A ), whereby other ranks wore curved strips of coloured cloth sewn to the upper part of the sleeve.

After WW1 only the Grenadier Guards continued to wear their shoulder strips on their service dress, the remaining four foot guards regiments ceased to use them, early in 1930 the former WW1 shoulder designations were reintroduced for the five Regiments of Foot Guards, and the Household Cavalry Regiments.

The seven designations were the Life Guards, blue lettering on red, Royal Horse Guards, red lettering on dark blue, Grenadier Guards, white lettering on red, and as you have said, Welsh Guards, white lettering on black.

Not much to go on I know.

Gerwyn

Hi

Not a easy one.

Upon the introduction of service dress for other ranks in 1902 ( Army Order 10 ), the practice was introduced ( Appendix A ), whereby other ranks wore curved strips of coloured cloth sewn to the upper part of the sleeve.

After WW1 only the Grenadier Guards continued to wear their shoulder strips on their service dress, the remaining four foot guards regiments ceased to use them, early in 1930 the former WW1 shoulder designations were reintroduced for the five Regiments of Foot Guards, and the Household Cavalry Regiments.

The seven designations were the Life Guards, blue lettering on red, Royal Horse Guards, red lettering on dark blue, Grenadier Guards, white lettering on red, and as you have said, Welsh Guards, white lettering on black.

Not much to go on I know.

Gerwyn

Thanks Gerwyn