Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID Cap badge please

dobbin

Could anyone please identify this regiment please.

Looks like Northamptonshire.

The Dorset badge has what looks like a Sphinks at the top.

Retlaw.

Sorry - neither. It's the Essex Regiment. The step in the scroll at the bottom distinguishes it from the Dorsets, which is a curve.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/essex_regiment_cap_badge.JPG

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/dorset_regiment.htm

Hi

Have all ready posted this in your other post, he's a Officer in the Essex Regiment.

Gerwyn

What other post Gerwyn? Coli

Hi Coli

In the other post, he's standing next to two Ladies, There is also a group photo, and I think one other photo, which requires information on.

Who are they?

Gerwyn

Thanks Gerwyn I think we are all at cross purposes as I was asked by the family too to find out who it was. No matter I guess they have got the answer thanks to you. Colin

Gerwyn I still could not find an officer in the Essex Regiment named Carver can you fill me in too please. Thanks Colin

He's not an officer: he's a Warrant Officer (senior non-commissioned) - so will not show up in the Army List

Thanks Gerwyn I think we are all at cross purposes as I was asked by the family too to find out who it was. No matter I guess they have got the answer thanks to you. Colin

Gerwyn I still could not find an officer in the Essex Regiment named Carver can you fill me in too please. Thanks Colin

Hi Colin

No problem Mate, I've found with the Forum, if you haven't got it right, some one will tell you, "I still think it Great :devilgrin: "

Did your Officer die in WW1?.

Just done a quick search, no Officer with the name of Caver died in WW1.

Gerwyn

Yes I agree with Staffs, he is wearing a 1902 pattern ORs SD jacket with what seems to be a Sam Browne, which together with his OR pattern SD cap would indicate he is a WO in the Essex Regiment. That said junior officers sometimes dressed in ORs jackets to make themselves less of a target so a full length photo would confirm things more accurately.

post-599-0-11861400-1318431331.jpg

Hi Colin

The only soldier I could find with the surname Caver, was a:

Medal Card of 453799 Pte John Caver, Labour Corps.

Gerwyn

Thanks Staffs and Gerwyn the problem is that no one in the family seems to know the names of the men in the picture although they seem to think that one is William and one is Leonard. The latter seems to have served in 1/17 Londons thats how I got interested as he has a number within 20 digits of my uncle who I have been working on for some time and I was interested to see if anyone in the family knew anything about him that might be of use to me as he was wounded at Eaucourt le Abbaye on the 1/10/16 when my uncle was KIA. There is another picture which looks like the Londons but I am unable to identify the cap badge. The Warrent Officer bit seems to tie in as one of the men in the picture or at least one picture has 3 stripes so presumably he got made up to W/O later on. So the name John does not appear or at least if it does then I am unaware of it. Unfortunately without more information on the family background its a difficult trace and so far I haven't seen any family records that are supposed to be in the stage of being put together. So at present its a bit of a needle and haystack job until someone comes up with a whose who. Good of you lads to help . Anyway here is a picture that's already appeared once which I picked up on before but I couldn't see the cap badge clearly enough to identify it.There is another picture which I will follow up with after this one if anyone can decipher them I will be grateful. Colin

Here is the other Carver picture is it of the Londons? Colin

post-20087-0-98430200-1318437140.jpg

post-20087-0-37466300-1318437331.jpg

Thanks Staffs and Gerwyn the problem is that no one in the family seems to know the names of the men in the picture although they seem to think that one is William and one is Leonard. The latter seems to have served in 1/17 Londons thats how I got interested as he has a number within 20 digits of my uncle who I have been working on for some time and I was interested to see if anyone in the family knew anything about him that might be of use to me as he was wounded at Eaucourt le Abbaye on the 1/10/16 when my uncle was KIA. There is another picture which looks like the Londons but I am unable to identify the cap badge. The Warrent Officer bit seems to tie in as one of the men in the picture or at least one picture has 3 stripes so presumably he got made up to W/O later on. So the name John does not appear or at least if it does then I am unaware of it. Unfortunately without more information on the family background its a difficult trace and so far I haven't seen any family records that are supposed to be in the stage of being put together. So at present its a bit of a needle and haystack job until someone comes up with a whose who. Good of you lads to help . Anyway here is a picture that's already appeared once which I picked up on before but I couldn't see the cap badge clearly enough to identify it.There is another picture which I will follow up with after this one if anyone can decipher them I will be grateful. Colin

Here is the other Carver picture is it of the Londons? Colin

Hi Colin

I'll have a first go, which is not that much, in the photo with the three sodiers, one of them's wearing the 1914 pattern, leather webbing, if I'm correct, this was usually issued to New Army recruits, or he's lost his 1908 pattern webbing :blush: .

Gerwyn

Hi

Just been been looking at your original Essex W.O photo. Please correct me if I'm wrong but is not the strap of his Sam Browne on the wrong shoulder for an Essex man ? Perhaps your man isn't a W.O and there is another explanation.

FSG

I have forgot to thank Frogsmile for that Essex badge post , good picture. Gerwyn and FSG thanks , I will have to defer to you on your uniform knowledge maybe some other kind soul might be able to confirm those details. Colin

Could anyone please identify this regiment please.

Does this help.

Retlaw.

post-47020-0-30165000-1318457365.jpg

Thanks Retlaw it seems that is Essex above that seems to be the consensus but its the other pictures of the groups of lads which I want also to identify.Colin